1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toshiba xs 34???!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cybergools, Jan 10, 2005.

1. cybergools

cybergools

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    hi just seen a mention of Toshiba xs34 hdd/dvd recorder(in What TV and video)to be launced in march. Featuring 250gb hdd, digital tuner, and hdmi connection....anybody know anymore on this including price, multi region option as well as editing facillity etc etc :D :clap: :thumbsup:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    We're all waiting for info on this model. Apart from what you mention it has DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD-R recording. And full support for the Freeview EPG. The model replaces the popular RDXS32 so (hopefully) will be pitched around the same price point (£500 on launch).

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm difference between mention in press of release date to actual launch date of XS32 was about 6 months. So maybe youll be able to buy it in september.

Thats if it actually gets released. I dont think the RDX1 actually got released here despite release dates in press

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Traditionally Toshiba normally releases it's DVD recorders around Easter time so I think it could be accurate. The only UK Toshiba DVD recorder scheduled for a Winter release was the cancelled RDXS33.

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    so far 32 was late 33 never happened neither did the RDX1. Hardly a good history with deploying DVD HDD recorders

6. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Im just one of many waiting for such a machine. If it has an i-link connection as well, it sounds that we may at last be getting a decent spec.
    However (and this is bias) will the overall build quality be satisfactory and will the picture quality be as good as the Sony double pass system used on their HX900/1000? :rolleyes:
    Looking forward to more details. I've postponed the buying of a Sony 900 as it's only got an analogue tuner and no flexibility of quality to length of recording facility - something I'd have missed spotting before bying if it hadn't been for this forum!

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    A programme re-encoded via the Toshiba (in realtime) will never look as good as the all digital 2pass encoding of a Sony. But then the Sony can only record 2 hours of footage in full resolution - even if Toshiba haven't updated the MPEG encoder on the RXDS34 then it will still manage 2hrs 20mins. Thus a first generation copy will (generally speaking) look better on the Toshiba.

All in all you will be able to produce some stunning results with a Toshiba. The Sony setup is much more restrictive.

8. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    lets hope they uprade the sh***y reading mechanism

9. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Rascza. If I understand you correctly you're saying that the 2hrs 20mins recorded onto the Toshiba Hard Disc will be the same quality as the 2hrs recorded onto the Sony Hard Disc - therefore the Toshiba has the edge by recording an extra 20mins.
    However if a recording is subsequently recorded from the Hard Disc onto a removable DVD Disc then the Sony 2pass system will retain the same quality as the original (Hard Disc) recording if the Highest Quality setting is selected, but the Toshiba -even at it's Highest Quality setting - will produce a poorer quality recording.
    Have I got that right?

Ironduke - What's this about sh***y recording system? What's the problem?

10. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think what Rascza was meaning is full resolution mode on the Toshiba can be pushed to 2hr 20min but anything longer than 2 hours on the Sony it would drop to a lower resolution.

It actually a Sh***y reading system but basically the drive is very fussy about media. See other threads about this.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Not quite no. If you record onto a Toshiba HDD and dub to DVDR without re-encoding then the Toshiba recording will almost certainly be superior to the Sony. However if you do a realtime re-encode on the Toshiba when copying to DVD-R then it will look worse the Sony. The 2pass re-encoding of the Sony applies only a re-encoding - there is still a reduction in quality (it is still a second generation copy) but is better than the DAC/ADC process the Toshiba goes through in realtime.

12. Oldjim

Oldjim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. quinn45

quinn45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no !!

This link says it only has 160GIG, that MUST ?? be wrong, hope so !!.

If the Pioneer 920H and the Toshiba RDXS34 were the same price which,
    one would you go for and why !!.

Thanks
    Quinn

14. quinn45

quinn45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.cheapelectricals.co.uk

States RDXS34 Release date March 2005
    States RDXS54 Release date September 2005. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Woot !!!!!!!

I want RDXS54 Now !! LOL :laugh:

Quinn

15. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've had a look at the spec. on leconcepts site but I can't see any mention of the tuner.
    Do we know if it will have a Digital Tuner?

Just read newer thread "Toshiba rdxs 34" which seems to confirm worst fears.
    NO DIGITAL TUNER!!!

Here we go again - manufacturers who deneigh the UK the kit to enjoy the lead we have taken in European Broadcasting!!!!!! :(