Toshiba WLT66 / 68 models with the 360

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Nemesis X2, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Nemesis X2

Nemesis X2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,803
    Hi,

Have been looking at Samsung LCD's which had been my preference, however, having now stumbled across a review of the 37WLT68, it has got me thinking about a Toshiba possibly...

I have also read a bit on the WLT66 range, which i know is older, but also sounds good.

Has anyone got one of these models for their 360, and if so what are your findings?

Also, has anyone had a chance to compare the Toshiba's directly against a Samsung, possibly the R87 or N73 ranges (not sure if there's much difference between these and the acclaimed R74 range????).

Thanks again!

2. mpn

mpn
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    I have the 32WLT66 connected to my 360 via vga ...... the set is fussy with vga resolutions though .... 1280x720 is a no go, gives a green screen, 1366x768 makes the screen shift to the left and looks off center ..... however 1280x1024 gives amazing results and the quality is exellent .... just remember to turn the brightness way down to around 20 to get rid of the washed out look.
    games and dvds look exellent on the set ..... i was using component but the colours always looked false to my eyes .... vga gives a crisp, clear image without looking saturated, this set is worth buying especially when you look at how much its come down in price.

3. Kahled

Kahled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I have the 42WLT66 connected to the 360 via component.

As mpn says the VGA connection can be a bit 'fussy' and after several attempts to find a sweet spot I decided to go the component route, a route that I personally found better looking anyway to my surprise.

As far as the screen goes I am extremely happy with it and to date two friends/work collegues have also been out to buy the WLT TVs (at different sizes) on the strength of having seen mine in action with 360 games, HD-DVD playing, and general TV viewing.

The 42" has an additional mode due to it being a 1080 panel (which does not support 1080p unfortunately) called 'Exact Scan' where it supposedly syncs directly to a 1080i source (such as the 360 or PS3) and that to my eyes is damn effective.

I really do like this set and would really recommend it, especially at the prices now available. Based on both previous and current experience of Toshiba panels when it comes time to replace this one they will be my first stop.

4. DannyDog1306

DannyDog1306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I purchased the 32WLT66 from comet last week for £549.99 and i am more than happy with it, my ps3 is hooked up via hdmi and looks breathtaking, my 360 was firstly connected via vga but did look abit fuzzy no matter what setting i had it on so i switched to component at 1080i and its pretty impressive. I cannot really fault this tv in anyway!!!

5. Rob_Meister

Rob_Meister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I purchased the 32WLT66 from Currys at the end of February and am more than happy with it. I purchased it ro replace my 26" Samsung LCD as the sd on it was very poor. However, now using my 32WLT66 with all the below and feel it couldn't be better :clap:

6. KirkSi

KirkSi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,910
    I've got the 37WLT68 and at the moment it's connected via VGA. Picture is fantastic, but at all accepted resolutions there are (small) black bars down the sides. Am about to switch to component as I want to use all of the screen for my new HD-DVD add-on drive. The advantages of the 68 are that the motion handling is superb and it has much improved built in sound (if you use external surround sound kit then this won't bother you too much).

7. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I have the 37WLT68 over component and it is awesome!! Its worth getting the settings that andrewfee posts in the LCD forum as they are quite good.

I've never had any issues with it, 1st class set in my eyes. Oh except for that cack remote!

8. Rob_Meister

Rob_Meister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I was originaly going to purchase the 68 model but after seeing the 66 in action and due to the fact it was only for a bedroom setup - I couldn't justify the price increase. I think it is all down to personal preference though. But I think the 66 is more than adequate and really neither models are top of the range LCD's. I am using external sound so yes, this improvement wouldn't bother me. Both are great LCD's for the price. But the ways in which price drops now is outrageous and is often a few hundred pounds just a month after you purchased your new screen :eek:

9. tigernuts

tigernuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Got the 32wlt66.

Repeat what everyone else has said. Excellent telly for the dosh. Use Vga and 1280 v 1024 with brightness down for the 360. Peachy.

S'alright for sd and dvd as well.

10. Rob_Meister

Rob_Meister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I haven't noticed any problems with the PQ of my 360 when using component. Do people really feel it is better when using VGA? I'm not going to change it, but am interested in this.

11. Nemesis X2

Nemesis X2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,803
    Thanks for all the feedback, it's all very valuable info.:smashin:

I had always thought of a Samsung 40 inch (seen good prices for the R87 and N73 models) until i read a review for the 37WLT68 which sounded superb....

It would be for my lounge and replace my 32 inch crt, so the main TV. I had fancied a 40 inch set that the samsung was, but this comes in 37 or 42. Can't justify the stretch to 42, so am wondering if i got the 37 inch would i regret it later??? I like the connectivity of the 68 with 3 HDMI's (same as the R87) which would cover future purchases. Also the better sound of the WLT68 would be good as i can't get a seperate sound set up because i have a baby upstairs meaning i can't have volume too high anyway, so it would be a waste of money (as much as i'd like it!!;) ) to get seperates.

Can someone tell me if the 66 or 68 have PIP???

The Samsungs i mention don't appear to, but the older R74 range does, but i was put off them a bit due to a single HDMI port..... However, i've seen links to this for anout £680 with codes so it is also tempting.

12. Rob_Meister

Rob_Meister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    No PIP I'm affraid. Don't know if you will live to regret not going "bigger" or not. I had to decide between the 32" 66 and the 37" 66. Went for the 32" though and not wishing I had gone for the 37" yet!!! I generaly sit about 2 metres from my set as well. So depending on size of lounge and general "bragging" prefrences ;) I should imagine the 37" would be ample.

13. Rob_Meister

Rob_Meister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Monopot just going off topic slightly I have noticed your signature a few times now "The box said requires Windows Vista or better... So I brought a Mac!" Very funny have since said the quote to a few friends and family - the only person as yet to not undestand (be amused) was the girlfriend ;)

14. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I have 42wlt66 just after xmas my mate got the 40inch samsung (not sure the exact model, its the one with 2 hdmi ports if that helps) and both are excellent tvs.

I would go with whichever is cheaper or whichever is the closest to the size you'd prefer.

Both sets look awsome. :thumbsup:

The 42wlt66 does look better on a pc though because 1920x1080 looks better than the lower resolutions on the 37 and 40 inch sets.

15. Rob_Meister

Rob_Meister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Jonny, you got any pics for dgibbs and the rest of us to admire?? You got your PC connected to your TV then, what OS are you running?

16. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
  17. EEC3

EEC3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    :clap: I just got a 32WL66 and hooked it up via VGA. I wasnt convinced it looked that good at first but then switched to component and turned 720p on then switched back to VGA, messed around with the brightness and colour temperature etc and it looks ace now.

Size depends on how far away you sit - I sit pretty close so 32 does me fine. Having said that I'd love to wall fit a 42 or 50.

It's a cracking telly for HDTV as well and it s a bonus having 2 HDMIs.

18. Rob_Meister

Rob_Meister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Nice setup Jonny, gotta love a bit of PC gaming on a 42" screen.

19. Rob_Meister

Rob_Meister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I wish I had played around with the VGA cable on 360 before completing my setup!! There is no way I can be bothered with it now, since my Tosh is on the wall and looking all tidy - let me know what you think guys Clicky

20. EEC3

EEC3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Nice set-up mate - like the pics. Can I ask a wee question, What settings are you using for your xbox and what connection – that pic of your 360 dashboard looks a lot sharper and clearer than mine.

I’m using VGA on my 32WL66. Cheers

21. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Using component running @ 1080i

22. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,865
    I tried using VGA with my 26WLT66 afew months ago and no matter what settings I altered I couldnt get a decent picture, it was just too washed oyut and HD-DVD's looked terrible so went back to Component and have been loving it ever since.

The only downside with the Tosh though is that backlight buzz problem, I have got used to it now but it was driving me crazy for awhile and I think other people have even got shot of their Tosh because of the buzz.

Also, not everyone notices this but in really dark areas of games (more grey that black areas) you can see a sort of interference, I started a thread about it on here just after I got my TV and other people did notice it also but they said it was on all inputs whereas on mine its just the Component that suffers.
    I was hoping for pin sharp detail and contrast not fuzziness but its another thing I have learnt to live with but its something worth remembering if you are about to buy a £500+ screen.

23. Nemesis X2

Nemesis X2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,803
    A couple of points there that are a bit of a concern.....

Does anyone know if the backlight buzz mentioned has been sorted and therefore isn't a problem for the 68 range?

Same for the fuzzyness / interference on really dark backgrounds, is this better on the 68's? That's the sort of thing that would bug me having splashed out.... I think i saw the contrast ratio for the 68's in 3500, whereas a couple of Samsung's i'm considering are about 6000. Personally i don't know how big a difference this level of contrast ratio could make, so open for advice from those that know....

One other question on the Toshiba's, what's the refresh rate like? I know the Sammy's are 8ms, are the Toshiba's about the same or better?

The one main concern i would have would be any motion blur, mainly for the likes of PES that can move quickly. Can anyone verify that PES is fine with these sets?

Thanks