Toshiba WL56 - good or bad LCD set?

Scott23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just as the title says - is it a good LCD set? What is the PQ like? I am about to buy one (taking a Samsung 940MW back tomorrow) and would like to know what the PQ is like with digital, DVD, consoles (xbox and PS2), etc.

Any feedback much appreciated :)

Cheers

Scott

ps Did a forum search and didn't turn up too much info after the set was released.

Any other owners out there? 20WLT56 owners post up your impressions as well.

Finally, as I can't make it out from the Toshiba site, is this set HD ready? I can only see component inputs so from the little I know this means it is not HD ready - is this right???

Cheers m8 :)

Do you know if it HD ready or not?? I still can't find a definite answer!!

Anybody own the 20WL56 LCD? I would love to see some opinions on the set before I order it :)

Cheers

Last bump :) Anybody own the Toshiba 20WL56 LCD TV? What is it like for PQ with Sky or Freeview?

Yeah I saw this post yesterday :)

I cannot find a review on the Internet anywhere for the set. The nearest I can get is the 27WL56 which is a different TV altogether.

I want to get it but I have had my fingers burned by buying a Samsung 940MW based on what looked like a good specification and I would love to get some sort of feedback based around what the TV is like with digital RGB pictures.

I now own (for 3 days) a 20WL56B. I am pretty impressed to be honest. Can't see much wrong with it. No it is not HD ready...but I think it will be some time before I have a HD source.

Compared to all the similar LCD's - this has som much connectivity - most of the others had 1 Scart......which did not allow me to connect freeview box and DVD player. I've got both of these connected with scarts - and still have inputs left over....)

The Picture off my standard aerial is excellent with this TV, but really looks good with Freeview box (Quality Sony Freeview box) and excellent with DVD. The old Monsters Inc test shows unbelievable clarity on pictures. Not sure if swapping the rgb scart for the different available connections will make the picture any better with DVD

I Paid £373 for this TV - cheapest I could find it (inc delivery) so was quite happy to find it on the day I bought it for about £80 more than I had paid for it.

My parents own the 17" version - but i think the 20" is in a different quality league.

I bought a 20WLT56 before Xmas and it suits my needs well. I'm not particularly fussy about picture quality at that size and the distance I view it from. Its fed from the inbuilt Freeview and Sky+ from another room via a digilink. All works fine. I do find the Freeview User Interface (you can tell I work in IT!) very slow compared with Sky+. Just scrolling through the channels seems to be very slow in Freeview. Not sure if this is a general issue with Freeview.

Picture and sound quality is fine. Connections are good. Not sure if the Component input can take an HD source but I have (possibly naively) assumed it will.

This is my first LCD so I have no comparison. I am also looking for an LCD for the lounge but having some disputes with the wife over what size is suitable :rolleyes:

hedgie said:
This is my first LCD so I have no comparison. I am also looking for an LCD for the lounge but having some disputes with the wife over what size is suitable :rolleyes:

The biggest affordable is always the best size :)

I have a 20WLT56 model and am very happy with it. PQ is excellent and is user friendly. I highly recommend it.

Cheers for the opinions - just made my mind up and ordered the 20wlt56 from LXDirect for £390 - 3 week wait though - GRRRRRR!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom