1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toshiba vs samsung

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nero041001, Sep 13, 2003.

1. nero041001

nero041001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am not sure what rptv to get

i first considered the toshiba 42" 42pw23p (50htz)

and i have recently seen the samsung 42" sp42w5hf (100htz)

i know the 100 htz would stop the scan linesas i might be able to see them on the 50htz but would it heighten the risk of burnin being 100htz?

i also know that toshiba have been going for years and make good tv's so what one should i go for mainly for reliability? even though id have the 5yr ext. warrenty with whichever one i decide to get?
    im not too bothered with features

i do want a rp to watch films and play games only not watch normal tv or sky

i have been told on another thread that turning the contrast down and brightness to about 40 or 50% reduces the risk of burn in (quite significantly according to another forum)

on average i play games 6-8 sometimes 9 hrs a day sometimes same game sometimes various inc halo with friends for up to three hrs a match!lol. does anyone else have any expirence with these or other simailar rptv's?

i am still taking kevo's thoughts and advice into consideration
    with thanks, and the fact that not all games have static images that are there for hours on end in the same place (final fantasy games) or thay are faint (medal of honour) or just none exsistant or you can turn them off (the getaway, ssx tricky)

i use all systems (ps2, xbox and game cube and of coarse i have a dvd player0 all of witch have component connections available as far as i know i dont know if that helps

thanks hear from you soon

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't help about the screenburn issue, as I don't play games (and I don't want to risk burn on my RP)

You do need to reduce contrast down from 100% to 40% or 50%- this is the cause of higher chance of screenburn.

However 50 or 100hz sets bare no relevance to the removal of scan lines. Progressive scan does that. 50/100hz is just the refresh rate. Be aware that PAL is 50hz, NTSC is 60hz. The TV has to upsampe these to double. This (could) introduce artifacts. Depending on the 100hz processing. If you can see PAL 50hz flicker, consider a 100hz set. However I only watch NTSC material and at 60hz this seems to help ALOT. No flicker at all.

3. nero041001

nero041001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice nathan, which set do you own? it is somthing i would consider as i would be watching ntsc films and playing import ntsc games with my psone too as i like to play the dragonquest series on ps1 which we dont have over here so i get them on american import as i have an import shop where i live im not sure if id see the 50htz flicker as i cant on my normal 32" set but i do wanna go with rear projection cos i wanna bigger screen to watch and play games on i dont think id bother with normal tv with it cos theres rarely anything on id wanna watch.

any advice between the makes? samsung? toshiba? I personally think toshiba but im just not too sure?
    thanks again and keep em coming

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Toshiba 42PW23P. It's a CRT type, 42" widescreen, Nicam 50hz model. Interlaced only, with Component inputs. Excellent value for money at £1000. IMO a wiser alternative compared to a 36" CRT direct view which are overpriced and flawed.

I did not want to risk dodgy 100hz processing so I went for a standard 50hz RP. I only watch Region 1 NTSC DVD's (which are 60hz) and the picture is very nice with no flicker at all. However when I borrow my brothers multi-region DVD player & Region 2 PAL DVD's I can see 50hz flicker. Although for normal terrestrial TV I cannot see any flicker.

I would not buy a Samsung.. maybe I'm being elitist but I would stick to one of the better RP makers.

My previous set was a 28" Widescreen. I don't think I noticed R2 PAL DVD flicker- I guess as you increase screen size it also increases the possibility of spotting 50hz flicker.

Since you play NTSC games I would say a standard TV(with NTSC capability) will be fine.

I have no hesitation of recommending this set. IMO better picture than a £4500 Fujitsu Plasma.

Oh and if a pro-Plasma puts some comments next- you know where to shove a pineapple! :)

5. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Luckily, the Toshiba 100Hz is actually very good, they offer a purer 100Hz mode, or a crappy 'natural' processed mode (to be avoided). The purer 100Hz mode is good, it seems to have no side effects associated with the usual 100Hz digital processing.

I have just sold the Tosh 50wh18B (100Hz), and watched plenty of football/sport, and action films, and was very happy with its 100Hz performance.

As for games.. well, having tried a PSONE on mine, it was pretty naff.. but this is due to the very low res of the PSONE blown up to a big screen... you can only do so much with a poor/low res source...
    Interestingly the PS2 doesn't look great, with its complete lack of anti-aliasing, it looks very bitty, and false when blown up.. However the XBOX connected via RGB Scart is very very good, at least it was for me. Halo/CMR3 etc were excellent.

As for screen burn, well, reducing the contrast to 40-50 and increasing the brightness to 60-70 is required with games, especially Halo, so you can see into the dark areas. Luckily this a common setup with games, you don;t go for striking contrast and cinematic blacks, you want to see all into the 'dark' to help your frag rates in games like HALO...

A word of warning, text can look slightly soft on the RPTV's, this is more a function of the source not being perfect, but does not bother me in the slightest, the in-game graphics are always well detailed and focused, so does not distract at all...

I will be getting a 51WH36P, and will be on-line whipping my mates at HALO.. there is nothing like playing it on a big screen with decent 5.1 audio setup!!!

I am a great fan of Toshiba's, and although things like Convergence are harder to setup, the rewards are worth it, but
    The new samsung SP-42W5HF that I saw in curry's looked very nice as well. It has an anti reflective screen and a very cool perfect focus, automated convergence setup that seemed to work very well...

6. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Samsungs all feature "100Hz Progressive Scan", details of which I cant find anywhere. Does anyone know if they can input a Progressive source directly (they also feature Component inputs) like the Toshiba\Panasonic?

Matt

7. nero041001

nero041001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks once again for the advice nathan, i like your attitude towards things especialy plasmas! poxy stupid things i want somthing to fill the room up a bit and not worry about hanging some weird technology off of my dodgey council flat half crumbly wall.lol

demon...i guess the ps1 games look like blown up gameboy then on the rp?that'd be quite a site really even more so when i connect my gamecube up with the gba player.ha.ha. i have all the consoles so i'll be having a bash at all of them on the set i hear that you can connect the ps2 up via component which would explain the y pBr thingy setting or whatever the letters are next to the rgb would that help the pic do you think?

Personally i am limited to a 42" opposed to a 50+ as i would only be able to get a 42 in here due to the sharp bend just behind the front door! i could ask the council if they could temperly knock a wall out so i can get a 50+ set in here but i think i could guess their answer.lol you never mentioned how long you play games on your rp? cos id like to be able to play games on mine 6-9 hrs a day if not more somtimes if its safe enough do you think that lenth of time would be safe practicly everyday?

well hear from you all soon take care guv's tata