1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba vs Panasonic plasma - differences.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tim Ashdown, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Has anyone (Joe) compared the Panny 42pw4 and Tosh 42pw16. Looked at the specs and I can't see a difference so the Tosh appeals as I want silver. Joe if you are listening, how much more do you charge for the table top stand and delivery. Also do you sell the Panny 42pw4. Are there any differences at all (remote, inputs, anything).

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Hello Tim

Other than the badge on the box, the instruction manual and the badge on the front of the panel we have not found any other differences between the Toshiba 42PW16 and the Panasonic TH-42PW4B model.

One non specification difference being that the Toshiba model is supplied with a 12 month on site warranty - whilst the Panasonic 4B model is normally supplied with a 12 month return to base warranty.

Currently we sell the Panasonic TH-42PWD4EX Charcoal model and the Toshiba 42PW16 Silver model and not the Panasonic 4B model - we could sell it but our price is not competitive.

I will PM you with the cost for the pedestal and delivery.

Regards

Joe

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  4. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Joe

Can the Toshiba take the Panasonic DVI module?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Hello Norman

I'm afraid not - the Panasonic TH-42PW4B that the Toshiba is cloned from only takes the RCA Analogue RGB terminal board.

Only the TH-42PWD4EX Charcoal display has the option to have either the BNC Analogue RGB terminal board or the DVI Digital RGB terminal board.

Regards

Joe

6. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Thanks for the speedy reply Joe. I've been having problems with my email but when I get it running I will take you up on your kind offer on how to connect it all. I looked at a Fujitsu that I was recently offered a very good price for. But I couldn't justify not saving that little bit more for the Panasonic. I might just get the Tosh as it looks superb value. This months What Video & Tv loved the Panasonic and they review the Tosh next issue. Would be very interested to see if they notice any differences.

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I had a chance to see the Panny 42pw4 today. WOW it's is stunning. The depth of picture has to be seen to be believed.

Ok it doesn't go "totally" black like a normal CRT TV. In a very dark room i could just about make out the screen was on. But the brightness and crispness of the colours put my Panasonic 36PF10 to shame.

I demo-ed it next to the new 50 inch Pioneer, and it was like looking at two different technologies. Both screens were being run from a Toshiba SD900 DVD player. The film was Vertical Limit, so there was lots of different scenes.

The Pioneer (0ver £7000+) had light greyish/brownish "blacks".(900-1 contrast)
    The Panasonic (£4400 ish) had very very dark blue-ish black.(3000-1 NOT!)

The most startling thing i noticed was shadow detail. On one shot of the guy in the snowshack with the SLR camera. On the Panny the black barrel of the lense had full detail on view, ie the tiny squares all round etc.
    On the Pioneer the whole camera was just one grey/brown blob!. And no amount of tweaking to the settings could get this detail to show.
    It was the same on most scenes, with the Panny showing all the shadow info.
    The 3Dness(depth) of the Panny was superb. And something that stood out time and time again was how pure the whites looked on the panny. This wasn't at the expense of peak white detail either. The Pioneers whites looked like somebody had pee'd in the snow!!!.

The colours remained bright and fully saturated without any bleed or blooming.
    The last time i looked at plasmas, they suffered "posterising" and an artificial image. The Panny is the first Plasma i've seen that takes off where the best CRTs end!.

I had visited the shop to demo the new PannyAE100 LCD projector(not in stock yet). But i have decided to go for the Panny 42pw4 instead! (it's that good)

The AE100 plus an electric grey screen, would have cost me just over £2000.

The Panny 42pw4 is selling in some places for about £4000 in black and £4295-£4500 in silver.
    I will wait for the price for the silver model to get to £4000 and then sell my TV for about £500. Then the price difference(of which i have to find!) between the Ae100+screen and Plasma will only be about £1500!.

I just want it NOW!!!:D

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Fulabeer

No need to wait - if you can live with a Toshiba badge instead of the Panasonic badge you can already get the Toshiba 42PW16, which is a cloned Panasonic TH-42PW4B Silver display, for near £4K.

Also bear in mind that in the long term the fact that the 4B model does not offer the option to swap to DVI Digital RGB input is a bit of a shortcoming - I usually recommend our customers to go with the Charcoal TH-42PWD4EX model - now sub £4k and with a much improved manufacturer warranty.

I'm guessing you were viewing the Pioneer PlasmaTV models - they have the external Media Box and do require more work to get them looking at their best in a head to head and as you say are never going to match the Panasonic models in the dark detail.

Best regards

Joe

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally posted by fulabeer I had a chance to see the Panny 42pw4 today. WOW it's is stunning. The depth of picture has to be seen to be believed.

I just want it NOW!!!

and I think that very soon, one will be sitting on my wall, I,m on with moving house at the moment so I will have to wait, but

I just want it NOW!!! as well

The Panasonic has had a price cut on Joe,s website, and is currently the most competitive price around

10. PlasmaIan

PlasmaIan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just taken delivery of a silver Toshiba 42wp16 and am very pleased with the results. everyone i asked confirmed it was a panny 42 wp4 with a tosh badge but has home warranty for a year.

I have connected it to sony dav800 + sky digital. one point to note is that if have S Video connection in for DVD this cut outs the AV sockets on back of plasma. At moment i have left DVD disconnected and use AV for sky but am getting a scart to go from sky box to RGB on plasma. This enable switching by use of the input button on remote.

Ordered from Plasma Direct (Home Cinema) and got table stand included for free and no credit card charges.