Toshiba TV's & Progressive Scan

dickz

Established Member
Reaction score
Calling all Home Cinema enthusiasts who have been through the progressive scan minefield.

Currently in the market for a Widescreen Television with the ability to accept a PAL/NTSC Progressive Scan signal, hooked up through component inputs.

According to the experts, it would be easy if I was opting for a Projector or Plasma TV, but budget won't allow me to stretch this far.

Anyhow, the TV I have shortlisted is the Toshiba 36ZD26P which is specified with Prog Scan and 100hz.

Does anybody have experience with this set, or could advise me further on this issue.

(PS - Looking to use either DV88 or Denon 3800 as the main source)

thanks

Richard.

Hi I'm not sure there is one, but I wouldn't bother anyway unless you are looking at a large rear projection TV (which has awful problems that more than outweight Prog. scan benefits). I have a 36" CRT telly with built in de-interlacer (many models have) and it gives great results in progressive mode, including from SKY broadcasts. I know this is technically not quite as good as native prog. from the DVD in theory, but I doubt one would see any difference.

Originally posted by dickz
Anyhow, the TV I have shortlisted is the Toshiba 36ZD26P which is specified with Prog Scan and 100hz.
Does anybody have experience with this set, or could advise me further on this issue.

I have had this set for a couple of months now and personally feel it's about the best 36" CRT out there at the moment. Yes, like all TVs, it can come with problems but if you get a good one and spend some time setting it up correctly, the picture is stunning.

You must however be aware that the set's own 'progress' mode does not give as good results as a true progressive signal from a DVD player... and the Tosh does not accept PAL progressive.

The best compliment I have heard about the 36ZD26P is from a friend of mine who works at ILM who was back home over Christmas. He knew I had just got the TV and asked to watch the Attack of the Clones R1 DVD via my Toshiba 510 in progressive scan mode.

His comment was that it was the closest thing he'd seen to the picture quality in the Skywalker Ranch cinema... a digital projector equipt cinema, owned by George Lucas and used by the Academy for viewing films for Oscar judging purposes!

Hi,

Just to clarify what some of the others have said....the Toshiba WILL accept the progressive component output from a dvd player. However..... it will only do it with ntsc progressive at the moment (I'm sure this has been considered over on the TV forum). I presume that when they (Toshiba) get their act together they will support pal progressive... although, unless they can do a firmware upgrade on current set's, it may not happen until the next model.

I'm holding off on buying one of these tvs until they sort this out.

Brian

Hi, im new here (and dont know mutch about prog.) and was thinking of getting the new 32zd26p. so your saying it will only accept ntsc progscan signal? not a pal one?
so would it make any difference to quality if i output in progscan in pal to it.
i was under the impression that the ntsc only thing was its own encoding of progscan that it did to any normal images.

See the "progressive scan compatability" thread posted by brianzo - I have posted the response I got from Toshiba here. I am waiting on a response to this follow up query -

"Thanks for the prompt reply - I would be grateful if you could pass on my formal request that Toshiba make a PAL progressive upgrade kit available for the Strata TV's, presumably it would simply involve swapping out a chip or circuit board. As I see it I am faced with the likelihood that if I buy a PAL progressive DVD player I will have to downgrade the picture quality to make it work with the Strata - an idea that is very frustrating. I would be perfectly happy to pay for a Toshiba engineer to do this work. Are you able to comment on the likelihood of this happening and/or how I would best be able to find out if/when this service might be available ?
Thanks and regards"

Perhaps if more people could make the same request we might get a result ?

The Panasonic 32PS20 has connections for progressive YUV component signal.

This is in addition to the Toshiba 32SD26 and the Loewe Atrium VGA connection.

It looks like this should work for PAL also.

Originally posted by nja
"Thanks for the prompt reply - I would be grateful if you could pass on my formal request that Toshiba make a PAL progressive upgrade kit available for the Strata TV's, presumably it would simply involve swapping out a chip or circuit board. As I see it I am faced with the likelihood that if I buy a PAL progressive DVD player I will have to downgrade the picture quality to make it work with the Strata - an idea that is very frustrating. I would be perfectly happy to pay for a Toshiba engineer to do this work. Are you able to comment on the likelihood of this happening and/or how I would best be able to find out if/when this service might be available ?
Thanks and regards"

Good letter nja, I'm sure a lot of people on here will be really interested to hear/see the response, myself included.

keep us posted if you can.

Hi,

I'm interested in the response to nja too..... as I said, I'm holding off on a tv until they sort this out.

apul,

Yup, the Tosh will only accept a progressive ntsc signal...... you will only get an interlaced picture with pal...... it's nothing to do with how the picture is stored on the disc.

Brian

The problem as I see it is that if I, for instance, buy a Philips 963SA and use the component outs into the Tosh it is going to be a nightmare, as the switch between interlaced and progressive is on the back of the player.
Thus if I play a region 1 NTSC disc (though I don't in fact own any R1 discs at the moment) the picture will be fine, but with a R2/PAL disc i will get no picture at all unless I fiddle about round the back of the chuffing DVD player. :mad:

Originally posted by nja
I will get no picture at all unless I fiddle about round the back of the chuffing DVD player. :mad:

Not sure about that particular model but most have a button on the remote that will allow you to select interlaced or progressive, even if the unit itself is set to progressive.

In fact, the Toshiba 510e that I have defaults to interlaced even though on the back of the unit it's switched to progressive. If it's swtiched to interlaced on the player, it can't then be switched to prog via the remote. Means I have to remember to hit the prog remote button each time I load a disc :mad:

The philips player can also be set up to output PAL discs as NTSC Prog Scan - but I don't know what the results would be like

Phil

Originally posted by Badger
The philips player can also be set up to output PAL discs as NTSC Prog Scan - but I don't know what the results would be like

Phil

Again, not according to the manual - there is an "X" against that combination. :(

If you look at at the threads in the dvd player forum on the 963a then the PAL hack allows the option of PAL PS output as 480p or unprocessed (576p) - I think this has been confirmed on the avsforums and I'm sure someone who's got one can confirm this.

I think the manual refers to interlaced output only

Phil

Originally posted by Badger
If you look at at the threads in the dvd player forum on the 963a then the PAL hack allows the option of PAL PS output as 480p or unprocessed (576p) - I think this has been confirmed on the avsforums and I'm sure someone who's got one can confirm this.

I think the manual refers to interlaced output only

Phil

That's great news if it's true - that would mean I can play R2 discs with 480p prog output while I wait (hopefully) for Tosh to come through with an upgrade to the xxZD26P TV to accept 576p. I'll have a trawl of the posts to see if I can find some first hand reports on this.

That Toshiba telly unfortunately doesn't accept PAL progressive. It only accepts NTSC. The only TVs I know of that accept PAL progressive are a few Panasonic an Leowe sets, for example the TX32PH40. Although even then they tend to have poor digital processing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom