1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba TV to Toshiba DVD using component - worth it or not?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by muttman, Apr 15, 2005.

1. muttman

muttman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, been reading this for a few days, but just registered and thought I'd ask a question that still confuses me...

I've had a Toshiba 32ZP18Q (I think..) 100hz TV and Toshiba SD220E DVD player for a few years now and am pretty happy with them (always liked Toshiba anyway). I've always used a RGB scart, of medium-budget quality, but the availability of component connectivity between the two still intrigues me. I've read conflicting reports on whether or not I'd see any noticeable improvement or not... anyone have any suggestions either way?? :confused:

Plus - since paying a lot for cables pains me (stupid I know, but hey), if I am going to buy a component cable I'd rather it didn't break the bank... anyway, I saw this advertised at cableuniverse.com --> http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=133 - anyone had any experience with it or am I being too cheap for my own good?

2. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have a Toshiba Rear projection tv & a Toshiba SD330e I only recently purchased a the dvd player just for the purpose to try out the compinent aspect of my TV. My usual DVD player is Thomson DTH7000e hard drive recorder which only has RGB or SVHS.

I also purchased one of the component cables from Mark in the bargain cable offers in the thread above. Total cost with dvd & cable £100.00

Well I always test with New Hope opening scene now & wow the difference was just incredible.

Sharper picture
    Excellent edge definition
    Bright colours
    The colours on the planet at the bottom of the screen just seemed so life like.

Now whether this was the player the cable or a combination of both I havent had chance to try out yet.

So for £12 odd I would go for it. Don't forget you will need to switch of the RGB option on your dvd for component to work. Took me 3 hours to work that out :smashin:

Good luck

Regards

Gary

3. muttman

muttman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply Gary.

Probably will give the components a go since the evidence is building.... still not sure about whether to invest in some 'brand name' cable or just go for the budget 'cable universe' one. I don't want to waste money if the difference is going to be negligible, but equally I don't want to defeat the object of components by buying a substandard cable....! :confused:

Anybody else tried some cheap component cable?? Is it worth a try with my set-up?

4. Ciqala

Ciqala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where are you based maybe theres a member nearby who can pop round with a decent component cable for you to test it out?

just a thought :D

5. muttman

muttman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ciqala :rolleyes:

6. Simcom

Simcom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also purchased one of these cheap component cables and am very pleased.
    I was using a £35 IXOS Scart lead before and can confirm an improvement in picture quality. The colours are slightly richer and the whole picture crisper. Customer Service was excellent.