1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba TV Problem:2 Much Red!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by taylorc, Sep 21, 2004.

1. taylorc

taylorc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help, Ive had my 32" Tosh for just over 2 years, recently the picture (on all inputs) has started to look more Red esp in darker scenes. No amount of tinkering in the normal menus helps and I have also reduced the RCUT value down to zero from the service menu, this helped with the Red tinge but it instead displayed vert bright but thin red lines across the screen (especially on dark or black scenes). I have increased the RCUT value back to what it was and I have since discovered that I may well need to adjust the greyscale of the picture to tune the reds with the blacks.
    Is this correct and if yes how do I go about the job? or is there anything else that I can do? I don`t fancy forking out for a service engineer and likewise for a new telly (my next one will be at least 42" and I dont have the money at mo!).
    Any help will be much appreciated
    Thanks

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What model is it?

Doesn't sound like a greyscale problem to me - if it was you shouldn't see any red at all if you reduce RCUT or RDRV to 0. Sounds more 'electrically' bourne to me. I'd take a look for dry solder joints (assuming you can solder) and poorly fitted leads first before even looking at the picture set up. My suspicion is that, if it's one of the 100Hz sets, the 100Hz module is a possible culprit - I have heard these can be problematic on all 100Hz sets and can cause some pretty spurious picture defects similar to the one you describe.

To adjust greyscale correctly you need special equipment - it is not something that can be done by eye because we all see colour differently. But again, I don't think your problem lies here.

3. taylorc

taylorc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The model number is 82ZD26B. On this model there is no facility to adjust the RDRV setting.
    I read on another very technical post all about colour tones and how they are made up, believe me it was well indepth!! The thread was replying to a problem very similar to mine but it didnt explain how to check the for the various calibrations that it was referring too, this is why I have restored the RCUT value to its original setting. I don`t believe that it is a dry joint or similar cause as I can actually vary the amount of Red using RCUT but I believe it is the wrong setting to be adjusted (from the above mentioned post), that is why it is only helping but not curing the problem (and displaying the red lines).
    I need to know what setting should be adjusted either in the service mode or in the designer mode, if there actually is a setting that can be adjusted!!
    I`m just hoping that it is not a sign that the tube is about to give up the ghost so to speak!!
    I also don`t use 100hz mode as it doesn`t work very well with Sky Digital or DVD.
    Thanks

4. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, the 'brick'! They were pretty good those...

Whether you use 100Hz or not the signal will still pass through the 100Hz block, thus why I suggested this as a possible culprit. Do these vertical lines of red change in level when you adjust RCUT? If not then it almost certainly sounds like some kind of electrical problem as opposed to manual adjustment.

5. taylorc

taylorc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the level of RCUT is increased the lines do fade, however even at the original value the lines can still be made out although they are very faint.
    Ive more or less decided that I am going to throw caution to the wind and raid savings to purchase new set and DVD system to boot, possibly the Toshiba 42WH46P which I can now pick up at Comet for £850 although until I can find a review for this model (cant seem to find one!) I won`t be commiting myself.
    Thanks

6. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't impressed with the WH46 series at all. It looks like a lot of cutting back as been done to this series to my eyes. Tosh PJ's are not what they once were it seems. Anybody who tells you it's basically a WH36 has not looked at the product in the flesh. I have and in my opinion the only resemblence between the 51WH46 and my WH36 is the cabinet it comes in. Electrically I am convinced the two are totally different.

If you can get one buy the WH36. It is a superior product in my opinion. The picture simply looks better in every department - crisper, more natural colours; this was most evident on DVD, where the WH46 simply looked a mess at times.

There are other reasons for getting the WH36. It has 2 RGB as well as component video, progressive scan and the 100Hz solution, while not perfect, is much better than the WH46, which I think is just a basic, no choice 100Hz solution. The WH46 has no progressive scan or component video input either, although it does have 2 RGB sockets according to the specs.

Food for thought...

7. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, that does suggest an electrical problem as opposed to a CRT or setup issue. If the intensity of the red lines alter with a change in RCUT that is indicative of an earthing or coupling/decoupling problem on the red output to the CRT. I wouldn't know what to advise to be honest - I think it might be an idea if you contacted Tosh's service dept and see what they would offer you - after all your set isn't very old and it would be bad karma on their part not to offer some sort of help. Give it a go, you never know your luck!