Toshiba TV HD Freeview - Sound drops out.

millfield

Hi, I noticed this thread about the Samsungs dropping the sound on HD channels, I normally watch my Toshiba 39L4353DB fed from a Humax HDR1000 freesat receiver. On seeing the thread I thought I would check the internal freeview tuner and found the sound dropped out on the HD channels, on tuning away and then back again the sound returned so appears not just Samsung models affected.I receive freeview from Pontop Pike.

Rodders53

Hi, I noticed this thread about the Samsungs dropping the sound on HD channels, I normally watch my Toshiba 39L4353DB fed from a Humax HDR1000 freesat receiver. On seeing the thread I thought I would check the internal freeview tuner and found the sound dropped out on the HD channels, on tuning away and then back again the sound returned so appears not just Samsung models affected.I receive freeview from Pontop Pike.
@Gavtech (moderator): Do you think we should move this into a separate thread? As the <complete loss of audio / retune returns the sound> issue is different the this thread's picture breakup at certain events (unless @david-park comes back to state his is a Samsung / Toshiba with the same audio symptoms?)

@millfield: Contact the maker's of your set for advice? They may need to speak to digitaluk to make them aware and get help to progress fixing this. {Thinking out loud: The same issue might indicate a common -T2 tuner module / h.264 decoder chipset in both makes of set?}

A1944

Apologies if I confused the thread by raising the audio issue, I misread the original post.

Gavtech

Administrator

millfield

Thanks for the reply, but this seems funny that different manufacturers models and ages of TVs are affected. Surely the common denominator would be the fault at the broadcast source. Will do Toshiba help line tomorrow but as with most manufacturers customer care these days I'm not holding my breath.

millfield

I contacted Toshiba this morning and spoke to a guy called Carl and told him of the sound drop out problem, he said that they had not had any other owners report this. He did a quick google search while I was on the phone and he said he could see some reports of problems with Samsung, Sony and Panasonic owners. He said he was creating a heads up on this and if anything was discovered at their end would e-mail me, not holding my breath. Will continue to feed the Tv with the Humax Freesat recorder for now.

millfield

Yes you are probably right but at least the guy had the decency to listen to what I was telling him and didn't try to fob me off, just trying to report what I did that's all.

turkindian

Novice Member
Hello Millfield, It's been a while since you posted on this forum. Have you managed to obtain any more updates etc on what Toshiba are going to do about the H.D. sound transmission automatically muting from your Toshiba T.V. yet?
We currently watch a Toshiba 32L6353DB smart enabled T.V. since June 2013, but have also experienced the sound drop out during H.D. only transmission through this T.V. sets audio tuner - without any external audio and visual source plugged into it.

millfield

Hi turkindian, no I did not contact Toshiba again, what will they do as they have ditched their TV business to Compal electronics? I do tend to watch the tv connected to a Humax HDR1000 freesat recorder so rightly or wrongly I have just been watching these forums to see if anyone has any news of what is happening.

millfield

Yeah I,ve been out of guarantee since april last year, in all honesty for the last fifteen years I,ve had Toshiba televisions and had no problem with them. I know some posters on here don,t rate them but I speak as I find. My model is a 39L4353DB and when reporting this fault to Carl at Toshiba he verified it was a Toshiba tv. If the sound drop out problem is a tv fault then I will continuing feeding the Freesat signal through it until a new tv is called for.

turkindian

Novice Member
I have owned several Bang & Olufsen MX2000, 4000 and 5000 TV's from 1984 up until 2012. These were considered the Royal's Royce of audio and visual equipment at a huge price. I can safely say that Toshiba and Samsung are no where near the experience that you get when watching and hearing a B&O T.V. They are built to last and not mass produced like their Asian counterparts. Whlst Samsung's are hugely impressive with their tech inside, the build quality is usually suspect.

VisionMan

I have owned several Bang & Olufsen MX2000, 4000 and 5000 TV's from 1984 up until 2012. These were considered the Royal's Royce of audio and visual equipment at a huge price. I can safely say that Toshiba and Samsung are no where near the experience that you get when watching and hearing a B&O T.V. They are built to last and not mass produced like their Asian counterparts. Whlst Samsung's are hugely impressive with their tech inside, the build quality is usually suspect.
A RicherSounds Manager recently said this to me as well. He said in the last 18 months the build quality of Samsung TVs had dropped considerably, to the extent that they had to replace 3 showroom demo models because they all failed after only a few weeks use, including their OLEDs.

Clem_Dye

Yes. My local Currys recently had a row of Samsung TVs on display and three were duff. A colleague of mine has a Samsung TV and the panel has failed after only a couple years; there were issues a while ago with failing PSUs on their TVs. All brands have their issues, but it does seem as if Samsung is in a race to the bottom.....

Clem

TJT1

OK, that coveres BBC HD, but does this problem not extend to other HD broadcasts from other channels?

Trending threads

Top Bottom