Toshiba to release 600GB dvd HDD rec!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rob20, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    In the latest issue of HCC, they give details of an upcoming Toshiba dvd recorder with a 600GB hdd. Toshiba has upped the capacity of it's RD-X5. Machine also includes dual MPEG2 encoders and terrestial analogue decoders, allowing for 2 programmes to eb recorded simultaneously.

For some reason I thought 500GB was the limit for HDD. Unless it uses 2 in conjunction!? :confused:

2. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,945
    I'm sure I saw somewhere on the net that there's no plans to release this in the UK yet

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    I think that it will intially just be for Japan. But these things always filter down to the UK. Eventually.

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Eventually can be a very long time.
    It took Panasonic 2 years to introduce component out/progressive scan to the UK after it had to the UK.
    Also several companies (incl panasonic) put larger HD's into the Japanese models than they ever do overseas.

It certainly would take the mickey out of Panasonic and their £1300 flagship 400Gb machine. £1300 ?!?!? No digital tuner/ HDMI/ DVI !?!?

Steve.

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2

No they dont! Only the RDX2 made it to the UK from the RDX range.

only the 30 nd 32 have made it from RDXS range.

We get very few of their flagship models

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Anything over 300 GB IS dual drive - 320 = 2x160, 400 = 2x200, 500 = 2x 250, and 600 = 2x300.
    I wonder if like the LaCie big disks, they have hardware RAID 0 to generate the "single" disk? If so, you'd better pray one drive doesn't go t*ts up or ALL your data has gone.

IMO, if you needed THAT amount of storage, you'd be better off with the likes of a Miglia Director's Cut with FireWire® and use the PC/Mac to capture the broadcast and store it on a RAID 10 or 5 setup internally or externally. More money, more cubersome, but then again, IF you needed that sort of storage, you're not a casual user, but a serious video editing type.

Again, this industry's major players are providing a solution for a question yet unasked! Oh the joys of oneupmanship!!

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    ok, easy! what I meant was that features that Jap models have, eventually filter down. Not that we get the exact same models they do. :rolleyes: