1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toshiba th36zp48 does it support 480i 480p 720i 720p??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by gunsnroses76, Aug 6, 2005.

1. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also whats the difference between the toshiba th36zp48 and the toshiba th36zp48p ??????? i phoned toshiba and they said they dont know but they think that there the same, anyway i would like to know why there is 2 model numbers??

my main question was does this tv support the above mention as one dealer told me this tv supports only 480i and 720i i think he said 480i or 420i but he definitly said 720i aswell anyway is this true as there is no place at all on this world wide web that tells you what wether the toshiba tv can do 480p and 720p aswell as 480i and 720i anyone know as i want to get this for xbox 1 games, as most xbox games are supposed to be either 480i or 480p or 720i or 720p im not sure, please soeone enlighten me on what this tv can do. which is supposed to be better anyway i {interlace} or progressive} ??? are xbox games 480p or 480i? and 720i or 720p ??? cause im comfused by all this.

2. 5lab

5lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    theres no real difference - just some places sell it as a 'p' (the 46 is the one wihtout surround sound)

progressive is 'better' than interlaced - the tosh will do 520p (pal progressive scan) and 480p (i think) but no true hdtv modes - that said it is still worth doing a chip on your xbox to enable this as the picture is much smoother. there are some crt tvs that do 720i/p, but i cant remember off the top of my head what they are. no 36" sets iirc.

3. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, the 'P' on the end means that it comes with a stand. Although, since a large numbers of dealers don't seem to know this fact, it seems that most supply this telly with a stand anyway whether there is a 'P' or not on the end of the model number. If you definitely want the stand double check with your chosen supplier that they are supplying it with the stand (If they aren't it should be about £50 cheaper) .Regards, yt.

4. Bobbler

Bobbler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just got mine today and believe me its worth it. Fantastic telly all round. Just Sky digital lets the side down with its goddam awful picture compression on a lot of the channels which this TV shows up a treat :( Roll on HD!
    As for Xbox:
    Been trying out a few games with the telly this morning and it does indeed support 480p mode on the vast majority of them. See http://www.hdtvarcade.com/xboxlist.htm for a near enough complete list of games that have different video modes.
    It seems to support 720p too which worked fine in my dashboard but a lot of the games dont support that mode anyway and I dont have any of the games in the lists on HDTVArcade to confirm that they work ok, but will be seeing if I can nick my brothers copy of Dragons Lair as that game supports all modes :)
    I believe DVD playback from Xbox is limited to 480p too either on MS or XBMC too.

5. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

hi, well first of thanks to everyones replies most greatfull, im still not definitly sure as to what it can do tho, just thought ill ask you seeing as you already got it what does it say in the toshiba user manual of what it suppports and dosent support ie does it do 480i 480p 720i and 720p??? as im getting different answers on here and over the phone from shop dealers as to what it does, the only real answer and way to find out is check the manual could you check your manual and let me know what it supports regards as to wether it can do 480i 480p 720i and 720p

6. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also the guy that said other crt widescreen tvs can do 480p and 720p that sounds great but i dont know the models of what ones do, as whenever you read reviews of tv on like say homecinemachoice and others tv reveiw sights alike they all give you a long review but never mention if the tv can do 480i 480p 720i 720p, i just trying to know exactly what this tosh does, ive never used component before to play xbox and im wondering how better games are gonna look compared to the already excllent RGB picture you get from just using a rgb lead, if theres not alot of difference between the two then i think i would be a little dissopointed having spent a lot of time looking for a crt tv that does 480p 480i 720i 720p to find out there is no real difference between that an RGB as i said its mainly for xbox games i want to get the best picture possible and RGB SCART is the best ive played games in, i dont care about watching dvd movies there fine to me in RGB SCART ASWELL. i would only buy a full hdtv ready tv in the future when the xbox 360 has a sh!t load of games, oh and buy the way i have a softmod uk xbox and a usa xbox. also thanks for the guy clearing that 36zp48p thing up i dident know p was for the stand model, one guy told me the p just ment its the pal model and not the european one, well as long as there the same i guess it dosent matter, i will get one with a stand, there were 2 reviews on homecinema 1 for the 36zp48p and 1 for the 36zp48 so that was kind of confusing because then your like i want to get the one that got the highest score, anyways thanks for clearing that up. i must admit the tosh is the best lookig crt tv ive ever seen, i really like there design as its slim all around no wasted plastic or stupid speakers on the sides to take up extra space.

7. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, well the thing about the 'P' was told to me by an executive within Toshiba who seemed to know what he was talking about. Talking about PAL etc, he also told me that some sets destined for the European market were 'tinkered with' and re-imported back into the uk - ie, a 'grey market' has developed for this model. You might ask yourself if this is a genuine european set that will work across the whole of europe why has someone taken the trouble to work on these sets and then re-import them back to Britain ? a good question and one that I do not know the answer to as the result of tinkering with them means that they will ONLY work in the uk and will not subsequently work in the rest of europe (the multilingual language select menu is disabled). In practice if you are simply buying a set for use in the uk then it doesn't matter but if you're buying one for use abroad then purchasers should ensure they have are not buying one of these grey market imports.

Can't really help you with the question of line standards as I don't use any of the kit you want to use, however, the user manual is available on the www.Toshiba.co.uk site and you can read it there. Regards, yt.

8. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi thanks, yeah as long as there the same quality i guess it dosent matter, im in uk and will only use in uk, i couldent find the manual on that sight too many links to look threw, i might just buy this toshiba and a proper high definition tv simply because you can connect your pc to them, you can have all the high definition modes for xbox1 and 2 and also im very excited to view por.n films in high definition ill be able to see the sweat n ass and everythink in deatil:] lol lol the thought only occuried to me now thats another reason to get high definition tv

9. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  10. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks red, like the other poster said somthink about 525p "but" it mentions it in a paragrath to somthink they were saying .....which was along these lines it says "if using a 525p input in ntsc mode some functions wouldent work ie still picture and other stuff wouldent work" ..that is just irrelavent to what i wanted to know, it dosent really give you an in depth of what it does can go upto, i know u can select pal and ntsc on this tv and secam, so if it does 525p does that mean xbox games that are 480p or 480i or even 720i and 720p wont work, the manual merily stated if running a 525p input threw ntsc still picture and other functions wouldent work, the manual dosent tell what it supports upto in the way of 480p/i 720i/p so i still dont know. thanks for the manual tho makes interesting read.