Toshiba Sx34 Record From Vhs/camcorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by WAITSMAN, Aug 31, 2005.

1. WAITSMAN

WAITSMAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Am Thinking Of Buying Sx34. Can Anbody Advise Me On The Following. Is It Poss To Record From A Panasonic ( 1 Year Old ) Vhs And Also From A Sony Digitial 8 Camcorder Onto Dvd. If So Can I Then Dub Music Onto The Dvd. Thanks........

2. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You can record from external sources on the XS34 via S-Video/Scart/composite or firewire. If your equipment has one of these types of connections you should be OK.
    The S-Video/composite/firewire connections are at the front of the machine, the Scart sockets are at the rear.
    I don't think the machine allows audio dubbing (I may be wrong).

3. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I haven't tried it myself, but I don't see why you couldn't record the video through the composite input on the front panel and feed your audio from a different source into the Left/Right inputs [also on the front] at the same time.

Obviously the pic quality isn't the best using the composite input and you will have to have the audio track you want to use edited and ready to lay over the video in real time, but it could work.

4. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    kherm is right, but you will lose the soundtrack on the recorded tape. If you want the audio track to be layered over the existing soundtrack, you will need to use PC based editing software.

5. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I've got an RDXS34, and a Sony Digital 8 camcorder. I think you've got 3 options for what you want to do:

1. Plug the camcorder into the DVD recorder using analogue connections - composite video (yellow plug) and stereo audio (red+white) - or S-video (round multi-pin plug). This is the "lowest" quality solution, and what I used to do to record camcorder footage onto VHS. However, it does mean you can use a really cheap audio mixer to combine the audio from the camcorder with audio from a CD player or from narration (with a mike). And to record from VHS, obviously you'll have to connect your VHS player via analogue connections too (composite or S-video, probably as part of the SCART plug, depending on what your VHS player has got). One word of warning, the RDXS sometimes thinks that some Sony video via analogue (from VHS or from camcorders) is "copy-protected" and won't record it, but Toshiba now have a fix for that if you need it!

2. Use the DV input (Firewire) on the DVD recorder. It's extremely easy, and excellent quality. You can then select a "playlist" of the parts you want to keep, and the RDXS will create a DVD with titles and chapters for you, with its own standard menus etc. I don't think any DVD recorders do audio dubbing, although it would be a great feature. My manual (p.138) says "To record Stereo 1 and Stereo 2 audio from the camcorder, additionally plug into the audio input jacks..." - I've tried plugging a CD player into the audio input jacks while recording the camcorder through DV in, and nothing much seems to happen, so I'm not sure what that's about?!

3. If you've got a pretty good PC with a Firewire (DV in) card, you can do all the editing you want - music and all! Check out the Camcorders & Editing forum on here, there's good cheap software around, and plenty of advice!