1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SX32 - preferred media

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cuseeme, Nov 21, 2004.

1. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What media do people find is the best media for the SX32 in terms of playback on other decks?

2. robkgriffiths

robkgriffiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also like to know what the best DVD-R and DVD-RW media would be for this recorder. I have been having difficulty getting my Ritek G04 DVD-R disc to work. They burn ok when I do a standard copy then finalise the disc but if I so the full chapter edit and setup the menus from the start the disc burns and completes then I have problems. It appears to be ok but when reading the disc in the RDXS32 or another DVD drive it will freeze part way through the viewing. I have tried running the test before burning and it stops with an error 15 message on the display. I have also tried using some Arita ritek DVD-RW x2 discs that I had but they always seem to fail to format. They stick on about 37% before coming up with the message that the disc cannot be formatted. Recording to DVD-RAM is not a problem. I am hoping this is a media issue and not the recorder itself. I read elsewhere on this forum that the Datasafe Greys work fine, so I have ordered some of these to see if they are any better. I HOPE SO!!!

Is there anyone else experiencing the same problems that I am having?

3. robkgriffiths

robkgriffiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now tried the Datasafe greys and they work great. Looks like a media problem all along which is a relief. Just need to find some DVD-RW discs that work and then I'll be happy.

4. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to get Ritek to write but not read, Datasafe Greys are a bit better.

For -RW TDR are the only ones I've found that will read and write x2.

It won't format X4 disks the same as Ritek X2 -RW gets to about 37%

5. lambchok

lambchok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far I have burnt 10 DataWrite grey (8x). No problems. TDK DVD-RW 2x works well. Avoid 4x -RW.

6. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For -RW I use TDK Scratchproof, so far they are the only ones I have had no errors with.

7. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    jdarushall - what does a bit better mean? I have burnt about half a cake of greys and no problems at all in any machines, mine or friends. Have you used lots of greys and had some problems? I am keen to find a reliable media that I can settle on. Thanks NS

8. drjoshua

drjoshua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried som Verbatim -RW 4X and they didn´t work at all. Even in my PC they acted strange. My Nec 1300 could only burn them in 1X!

9. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's always difficult to tell if it the media or the player. Mine seem to take longer than usual to read discs.

I could try 10 Ritek and all work, but I could get 3-4 that come up with the "disc needs cleaning" error or may take up to 20 mins to load but work fine. I suspect the drive and have contacted Toshiba.

I tried Datawrite Greys and they worked fine but then I started to have problems with a few (1 or 2) so I guess they will be better over the long run.

But everytime I say "use xxx they are the best" something goes wrong, I seem to have a media curse!!!

Looking at other people responces there are a few people with problems with Ritek but I'm the only one to have had a problem with the Greys.

10. robkgriffiths

robkgriffiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I may have been too hasty in my judgement of the Datawrite greys. I tried to duplicate 2 discs I created on my toshiba using my PC DVD-Writer and it kept complaining about unrecoverable read errors on both discs. After viewing the discs in full, one would freeze at the same point everytime while on the other you could see the picture break up for a brief moment. I have lost my confidence in these discs already.

11. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said in my previous post, everytime you say somethings good it goes wrong.

It's not just me then???

I think they best thing to say is that you *may* have less trouble with discs XXX...

Hope by next week to get some sort of answer from Toshiba if my drive is faulty or not.

12. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi, i tried a memorex -R and works fine, but a tdk -R when try to burn it, gave me the essage "the disc is not suitable for this operation".
    Does the -r Tdk not good?

13. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I found the Ritek disks that look like a film reel worked well -- I burned 100 of them, all perfect, and random replays suggest they're fine. But SVP seems to have stopped stocking them -- anyone know another source?

14. Geoggy

Geoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    bumping this as im about to buy some media for my machine which im getting for xmas.

was looking at the greys from svp and also the datasafe DVD-RAM discs from SVP also.

any help much appreciated.

G

15. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actually, answering my own question, I've found a few sources fo the Ritek movie reel DVD-Rs. Googling for them found a couple of places for these (in my experience) 100% reliable media.

Usual disclaimer applies.