Toshiba Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rolo Tomasi, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Toshiba SD200E DVD player linked via a coaxial cable to my AV receiver. It is used for DVDs only. I am about to significantly upgrade the receiver to a Rotel RSX 1065. The salesman recommends a new DVD player also to improve the sound quality.

I was under the impression that the receiver was doing all the decoding etc and the DVD player just read the disc. I have been quite happy with the Toshiba so far and am reluctant to change unless its absolutely necessary. I was slightly suspicious when he recommended the Rotel DVD player eventhough it does not have a scart outlet and my TV does not have component inputs, thereby condemning me to a reduced picture quality!

Am I likely to notice a significant improvement?

If so, which DVD players, with a scart outlet, should I consider for improved film sound over my current one?

2. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read several times that there is a difference in the bitstream produced by different players. However I would suggest that you auditioned the difference because I doubt very much whether my ears could notice that particular difference. Usually I believe that an upgrade of amplifier makes the biggest difference, followed by an upgrade of speakers. I don't beleive the sound quality of the Toshibas to be bad anyway, and if the one he's recommending doesn't match the capabilities of your tv, maybe you should switch dealers!

3. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not a Guru af the Audio/Video world but I belive you are right.

As far as the connection DVD->Receiver is digital, the DVD player just pickups the digital stream from your DVD/CD and sends it to the receiver. Upgrading the DVD player should not make any difference.

If the salesman is so sure about the improvement, why he doesn't give you the Rotel DVD player to test at your place? If he does not want to, bring your Toshiba for a demo in the shop. I have the feeling that he will be too busy to do any demo...

Silent Fly

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    An interesting experiment is to audition all the players in a range, say Denon or Tosh, and listen to the differences in the digital output. We all acknowledge that better analogue stages make a difference but the same can be said digital as well. Having said that your Tosh 220 is a lovely player with a decent low jitter output. If you are using DD / DTS from DVDs you will only notice very small differences. If you listen to PCM form DVD the differences will be more but still small. The biggest difference will be from PCM from CDs. To be honest for the kit you are looking at, for DVDs, I wouldn’t bother. You have good kit already.

5. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Hi

Just to add my experience but it I have tried different DVD players with the same amp and there has been a difference and I don't know why. My latest DVD player I noticed pin points the effects more precisely

For example in Band of Brothers in the Day of Days there is a missile going from back left to back right. On my old Philips 962 it was more muddled the effect, still there but with my new one I can definitely hear it start and move from left to right more precisely

6. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    z5461313,

Where does the system convert the signal? In the DVD player or in the amp? I.e. do you use the DVD' 5.1 Channel output (analog)?

Silent Fly

7. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Hi

I use the digital optical out from the DVD player to the Yamaha amplifier always

I also found the digital out gave a slightly better sound than the coaxial out

8. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By 'coaxial out' do you mean 'digital coaxial out'?
    By 'digital out' do you mean 'optical coaxial out'?

Silent Fly

9. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Hi

Sorry this was not clear at all. Optical out means digital optical out using the fibre optic out

Coaxial is the other form of digital out but using a coaxial cable, not fibre option