toshiba sd900e

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jason t, Jan 29, 2002.

1. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi can you please tell me is it possible for the above player to output progressive pal???
    whats the progressive mode like on this player??
    whats the best price for a multiregion pal progressive model?
    what would be better an arcam diva 88 or the sd900e i will be connecting to a sanyo plv30

thanx in advance

jason:confused:

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of previous threads have revealed that there is a way of making the SD900E output PAL progressive. It's apparently done via a firmware upgrade/modification that can be carried out by inserting a cdr burnt with the hacked firmware. This thing is mythical in its notoriety and scarcity. Like most SD900E owners I want to believe it exists but so far its been as conspicuous as Lord Lucan.

Treat with the utmost scepticism but don't let it put you off the Tosh, its an absolutely stonking player. And you won't find many who'll argue with that.

3. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ditto! Superb player!

LP,

Just curious:

1) Do you have a modified multi-region unit? If yes, was it a software mod?

2) What happens when you insert a R2 disc and then switch the "Y/Pb/Pr Selector" key in the remote? Does the player cycle between "Progressive" and "Interlaced"?

HB

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AlfaKhan,

In answer to your questions.

1) Yes, I do have a modified multi-region player. The player came from Techtronics (I won't bore you with my tale of woe dealing with THAT company) so you would assume that it has a hardware modification. The chances are it is a h/w mod as Macrovision is disabled which I believe is not a feature of software mods, I haven't yet come across a s/w mod that disables macrovision. However, it is not fully 'RCE transparent' as they used to say. This is because the firmware was changed on later models by Toshiba which prevented the RCE compatibility feature from working. You have to manually reset the region code by inserting a non-RCE region 1 disc, ejecting it and then inserting the RCE disc which plays flawlessly.

I cannot confirm that the modification is definitely hardware as a tamper proof seal was applied to the casing after certain warranty 'repairs' were carried out on the unit. My scepticism is based on the fact that multi-region compatibility of the SD900E is easily achieved in s/w, the RCE h/w modification is redundant as it doesn't work with the new firmware, BUT Macrovision is disabled! Anyway, it now works perfectly and I don't have any region, RCE or Macrovision issues.

2) I cannot comment on this as I've only just had some component leads made up and they still need to be installed. I assume you are referring to the players ability to transcode PAL to NTSC Progressive, or is there something else you've discovered? Let me know what you have found and I'll check my setup once I get it sorted.

5. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    LT,

Txs for the reply.

That was what I was referring to: The ability to transcode PAL into NTSC Progressive.

So, when you talk about " a way of making the SD900E output PAL progressive" you are talking about something else...

Be sure to post here if you get something else on this.

(So, you have not seen the SD900 working through component output yet?:devil: Prepare to be dazzled...:devil:)

HB

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alfakhan,

Yeah, things got a little confusing there. Just to set the record straight, in reply to Jasons questions there is allegedly hacked firmware that allows 'proper' PAL Progressive a la the Denon 2800. There is also the lesser known feature of the SD900 that transcodes PAL to NTSC (if that is the correct description) to allow pseudo PAL Progressive. In both cases I have no information as to whether the final image is any good or not.

7. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    well think i'll wait to have a look at the new toshiba 9500 sounds very interesting!!!!

jason;)

8. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good idea Jason! That should be an excellent option.

LT: That is correct. When I flip from "Progressive" to "Interlaced", with the mentioned "Y/Pb/Pr Selector" key, it seems I can get NTSC Progressive converted from R2 PAL discs.

I say it seems, because even Toshiba was not very sure about this. This is a reply I got from an enquiry with them.

"There is no progressive scan available on PAL disks so, if you switch
    between progressive and interlaced, it is trying to interpret an interlaced
    signal incorrectly. I do not know exactly what signal is being output but
    it is not going to give a better picture than the correct signal and you
    would expect the "progressive" signal to give a poorer picture.
    ".

They are correct about the poorer picture, though. You will see it as soon as you have the component output. The result (when selecting "Progressive" with a R2 PAL disc) is worse than when selecting "Interlaced" for this discs.

I would love to find that elusive piece of "True PAL Progressive Software", though....

HB

9. Peter Webb

Peter Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can confirm that when playing a R2 disc and selecting progressive on the Toshiba remote the picture deteriorates dramatically with what i understand is 'combing', ie spikey horizontal lines appearing whenever there is movement on screen.My projector indicates that the SD900e is outputting
    a 480/60p image,so it does in fact downconvert from PAL to NTSC,
    but not successfully!:(

10. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Peter,

With my projector (PLV30), the mentioned "R2PAL-to-converted-PROG-NTSC" shows quite "fuzzier", with lines missing from subtitles.

Also, once in a while, it skips 1 or 2 frames, making an annoying "hiccup".

HB

11. Peter Webb

Peter Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about subtitles but yes,very grainy fuzzy picture with all sorts of nasty artifacts.
    Not completely sure but I don't think the VPL-HS1 will do 576/50p
    which I understand is PAL Progressive, only 525/50p ,so even if a mod to enable the Toshiba SD900e to do real PAL Progressive is found I won't be able to take advantage of it:(

12. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The PLV30 does 575p, so I really would like to give a try with that "TruePalProgressive" software.

If it actually exists, that is...

HB

13. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi all,

Yes I have noticed the deteriation of picture when watching a R2 disk in prog scan mode, and the "hiccup" in picture frame rate. This happens about once every 20 seconds and believe it has something to do with the 3-2 pulldown and FPS on R2 disks.
    Im viewing these discs on Pioneer 503hde plasma.

That disk upgrade sounds interesting.... I feel a bit of webmonkey net searching is in order!?!

Is this the same for you?
    If the sd900e is left in prog scan mode and you put a PAL disc in the player, when you press the "Y/Pb/Pr Selector" key it will not go back into 'interlaced'.
    To go back into 'i' mode you have to put a R1 disc in the player and then select 'i' then put R2 disc back in?