Toshiba SD900E question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by -, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Christ, we're drowning in an ocean of overcomplication.

Check out the recent DVDA shootout on the HCC website. Though I have had this player for a few short weeks I've had to send it back because its faulty. Nonetheless, the review comments that PAL can be downconverted to NTSC progressive. I haven't had time to check the manual to find out exactly what this means but I didn't notice it when I was setting the player up.

Could this be a hidden feature of the player. If it is, is the playback quality any good?

2. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Drowining in overcomplication? You bet!

At least I am, since the facts are:

1. My setup works fine with R1 NTSC discs in Interlaced mode.
    2. It works superbly with R1 NTSC discs in Progrssive mode.
    3. It works quite admirably with R2 PAL discs in Interlaced mode.

So this is really a question of trying to squeeze some more sweets drops from an already very good orange.

I really want to get these puzzles solved: What is the player outputing when in AUTO read and with Progressive out selected (R2 Pal discs)? Why does the manual mention Progressive out signals as (525p(480p))? When does it output 525p?

I think that the review you mentioned is correct, because with the above set-up (AUTO read/PROG out/R2 PAL disc), I can manually select the input to 480p in the projector and it still displays a reasonable image. Nevertheless, it is inferior to Interlaced PAL, with “fuzzier” outlines and detail. It seems to confirm the point made that it is probably PAL downconverted to NTSC progressive.

I’ve already sent an email to Toshiba Europe (UK) about this.

PS: Also, what is this 575p I get as an option in the Sanyo PLV30 input menu?

HB

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be sure to post the response from Toshiba, I too am intrigued. Sorry I can't help you with the Sanyo PJ problem, try posting to the Video Projectors forum, you're bound to get a reply.

4. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can anyone help me with this?

The SD900E manual states (Page 19, under “Connecting to a TV using the component video jacks”): “PROGRESSIVE (525P (480P)) OUTPUTS/INPUTS.

I understand that 480P equals an NTSC signal outputed in progressive format. But what does the 525P relates to? Is this PAL PROGRESSIVE? Is there, already, a standard for PAL PROGRESSIVE?

If I select the “PAL/AUTO” option in the “Picture performance settings” menu to PAL the player wil not allow selection of PROGRESSIVE out signal with a R2 PAL disc. This is in conformity with the note in the manual, again under “Connecting to a TV using the component video jacks”: “To output video signals in the progressive format, set PAL/AUTO to AUTO.”

Accordingly, if I set the aforementioned picture setting option to AUTO I can then select PROGRESSIVE out.

My question is: nullIn this condition (R2 PAL disc, AUTO selected and PROGRESSIVE out selected, exactly what signal is being outputed. 480P or 525P?

This is quite important to me, as my LCD projector (Sanyo PLV30) can accept 480P but not 525P (although provision exists for 575P).

Txs.

HB