1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD900E & PAL Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Norman, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Can anyone who has one of these players confirm that it can output PAL progressive scan as well as NTSC?
    I would want to connect it to my Toshiba 42WP16 Plasma and since they are currently selling for only £499 I am very tempted.
    Thanks

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    It can't output PAL Progressive. It converts PAL to NTSC and then outputs that in Progressive form but doesn't do it very well.

The SD9500 can output true PAL Progressive but it's 1500 quid!

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase - I'm sure i've seen it for around £1200

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Good price if that's the case. :)

5. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    That's a shame, although since 90% of my DVD's ar R1 does PAL progessive really matter?

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Not really. I'm in the same boat as you, most of my DVD's are R1. My TV does have it's own Progressive Scan mode so I use that for any R2 discs although it can also accept a PAL Progressive signal should I eventually change my Toshiba 900.

7. TAHIR

TAHIR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase

If you were to change your Toshiba SD900E, what what you consider upgrading to? I am very tempted also at the £499 price being offered for one of these, or should I take the plunge and go for the 950.

8. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    TAHIR, my thought exactly, but an £800-£900 saving over a 9500 is a lot of money to pay for PAL progressive and SACD.
    Jase, if you were in my position now what would you do? The 9500 is way to expensive for my pocket but how does the Denon 2900 at £670 compare to the Toshiba 900E?

9. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The Denon is a great player - IF you can get one that is bug-free. Seems to be something Denon DVD players just can't get right. :rolleyes:

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    TAHIR & Norman

Personally I'd wait for the new Denon DVD-A11X. SACD, DVD Audio/Video, Full Bass Management, DVI output, Faroudja Processing, 216mhz/12 bit Video Processor, PAL & NTSC Progressive.

It's the one I'm eagerly awaiting. :) Details HERE

11. TAHIR

TAHIR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jase

2 questions if I may.

1. The performance of your SD900E is that good, that you will upgrade to such a high end machine and not consider other "lesser" models, i.e. SD9500, 2900 ?

2. Will Denon get it right this time, or like A1 3800 2900 2800 I/II they will foul up again, as the price of this monster will most certainley be more expensive than the current A1, will you be prepared to take that gamble.

It's just that the price of the SD900E is so tempting, but it is nearly 2 years old, technology wise.

Thanks in advance.

12. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    The Toshiba's have always been regarded as superb DVD players. The SD900's interlaced output is easily one of the best on the market and can hold it's own against the later players. It's Progressive output is not as good as these later players though (it's deinterlacing chip is not very well regarded).

Basically it depends what you want, whether you want a multiformat player (SACD/DVD Audio etc) or top notch video/audio or both! From what I gather the new Denon is likely to be around 1500 quid or less and is not a replacement for the flagship A1 but appears to be a step up from the 3800. I'm hoping Denon will have learnt their lesson and produce a superb (problem free!) player.

It might just pay you to sit back and wait a while to see what transpires. If you must buy a player now then the SD900 is an excellent buy at the prices they are selling them for.

13. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Agreed. The 900e is an extemely good player and will still stand well against most new players. At £1000 this would be a good buy. At £500 its a steal!

The pal ps is poor but ntsc is excellent, and best of all it plays every dvd film disc ever made (well ive never met a disc yet that its had problems with and i doubt you'll find a thread here that says it has) many other originally priced players seemed to have met lots of problems, espically Arcam (but most of the time its down to poor software programming and can be patched/fixed. (but not always!!)

Rgds

Snowman.

PS. I wouldn't trust Denon as far as i could throw them with dvd players and I own a denon amp. Its not about customer/brand loyalty (for us), its about getting something right, and with dvd players they just can't. I want 99% - 100%.

bloody hell..................!?!

14. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a lot to be said for a two year old player that can still knock the stuffing out of the majority of players out there. What price reliability, compatibility, immaculate picture, superb sound, battleship build quality and a classy gold finish. £500? That'll do nicely!

Oh, did I mention the loading mechanism? Pure sex!

15. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    It's a class act and two years down the line at £499 nothing much still suggests otherwise.

PAL Progressive or not, the interlaced output alone is SERIOUSLY good.

16. TAHIR

TAHIR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well judging from the feedback, 2 year's or not, at £499 it seems to be a no brainer!

I think I'll go for one then, before they all get snapped up, and thanks to all for their invaluable contributions and opinions.

17. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    :hiya:

The tosh 900e PQ is A1

I have over 120 dvd's and all play without problems :)

dvd :cool:

18. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    If that's the case, I'll hang on to my Sony 7700 for a while longer. It's no slouch in the interlaced output department and the progressive mode is what I'm really after in the Toshiba.
    Who knows, maybe this time next year the 9500 will be £499:D

19. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with Snowman on this. I bought the SD900E precisely because of it's superb PQ in NTSC progressive, it's all I wanted at the time and I've never been disappointed. I don't know where Jase get's his info about poor progressive performance but if he is referring to PAL prog then he is correct. The SD900E does not run native PAL prog and never will, it downconverts NTSC but the results are definitely poor. NTSC prog is sublime.

Denon? Well, I've toyed with the idea a few times but, given the problems that have been reported in this forum, I have no interest at all in owning a Denon dvd player but that's just my own preference. Buggering about with firmware and freezing video, not to mention the never ending quest to squeeze decent PAL prog out of the machines. Do you really need the hassle? Their amps however are excellent.

Do a search on this forum for bad experiences with SD900E's, I reckon you won't find a single one. At £499 it really doesn't get much better.

20. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Re-read my post chaps! ;) I didn't say it's progressive output was bad:

"It's Progressive output is not as good as these later players though (it's deinterlacing chip is not very well regarded)."

As for it's Pseudo-Pal Progressive, that definitely is crap! LOL

21. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Well, in the end I couldn't resist it. After speaking to several dealers (who no longer had any in stock) they all said it was a blinding player and if I could buy a new multi region one for £499 I should snap it up.
    As I said, the Pal Progressive would have been nice, but most of my DVD's are NTSC so it's no big deal.
    Anyone want a Sony 7700 Boxed as new?

22. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Norman,

Post back when you've got it set up and let us have your comments. I'm sure there are others who might be in two minds about this, after all this machine was around £1200 at launch and it might seem too good to be true that £500 can buy such a superb player.

23. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Just spoken to the wife and it's arrived, so I'll let you know how I get on.
    I think you're right, everyone I spoke to said (Pal progressive & SACD aside) that it hasn't been bettered and at £499 there's nothing to touch it.
    Also, the place I got it from said that they had received what they thought was the last batch from Toshiba only recently and they all sold out at £699 very quickly. Then this batch turned up, so if anyone wants one they ought to be quick.

24. Lighty

Lighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    norman

where did you buy yours?

thanks

sean

25. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
  26. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I got mine from LE Concepts. I think they're the only poeple who have them left.

27. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    One word - Awesome.
    The first thing that hit me was the weight and build quality of this machine. I couldn't wait to get it setup and the first thing that struck me was the quality of R1 NTSC playback compared to my old Sony S-7700. The picture on my Toshiba 42WP16 Plasma is rock solid with no hint of flicker at all. The image detail is amazing and anyone who looks down on 420P as second best should see what I no see now - wow.
    The Sony was a reference player in its day but its blown away by this beast. Interlaced R2 Pal disc's still look fantsic and better than the Sony so I have no regrets on missing out on Pal Progressive given the small amount of R2 material I have.

I don't have any DVD Audio disc's so I can't comment, but CD Audio also sounds fantastic.

This is truly a reference player and I strongly urge anyone who is in the market for a DVD player for around £500 to snap one up before they're gone. Remember miss this and its all the way to £1400 for its successor:laugh:

28. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Norman,

:smashin:

dvd:cool:

29. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Quick question for all you other 900e owners out there, my amp is a Yamaha DSP-A1 which in its day was the amp to buy, but since it is now getting on a bit I wondered if I'd be better off using the DD,DTS decoder in the 900e rather than the Yam?

30. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Another quick question regarding the Progressive Scan. Can it be set to NTSC Progressive and PAL Interlace at the same time [ie. so you don't have to alter settings between Prog/Int when moving between NTSC and PAL DVD's]?