TOSHIBA SD9000 OR SONY 735

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TJSMANGINA, Jul 17, 2001.

1. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok im looking to upgrade my pioneer 626 an i have found a retailer that has a toshiba 9000 for £400 multi region etc.i also have my eyes on the sony 735 i know the tosh has been out a while,but it was a very high end player back in the day.can any one tell me which is the one to go for

2. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only talk from the side of the 735 - I have one and I find it awesome.
    The only thing I would saty about the Sony DVD's is that they seem to lack the Zoom function many other brands have.
    But I do not 'miss' this function personally.
    I would recomend it to anybody.

It's CD music playback is absolutley top notch in my experiaence also. Only problem there is that it is one disk only.

3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    If you have a widescreen TV then the Tosh delivers a sharper picture than the Sony, but if you have a 4:3 set then the Tosh is not as good at downconversion.

4. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i did think the tosh would be better but the leaps an bounds made in dvd over the last year to two years i thought i better make sure.it is a pain about the lack of rgb but i use s video anyway so its not to bad.thanks yet again 2 every one who helped lots of good advice yet again.i might even stop buying hcc magazine all the advice you need is here on the boards lol thanks boys :)

5. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    You'll love it, I've had my 9000 for a couple of years and it's superb. I'm using component connection to my Tosh RPTV now, but previously I used SVideo and thought that was very good, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    This one is a no brainer. As good as the Sony is, the Toshiba is an order of magnitude better, hence it stunning reviews at £800 where it betters the bigger 7700 sony. Hunt a bit further and you will find it for £350 multi region, post free.

I think it is one of the bargin DVD players at the moment. The only down side is no SCART (horrible connector anyway). If you after RGB scart it will not do but I would put the S-Video quality against any Scart (rgb inc). If you want component then you are laughing all the way to the bank. Yes it can be that much better.

Picture and Sound are only bettered by Tag but equalled by some of the new better £1000 players (Arcam, Toshiba 900 etc).

The Toshiba 9000 is a smart purchase.

7. Chris.Humphreys

Chris.Humphreys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I changed my Sony 735 for a Pioneer DV737. Awesome as the Sony was the Pioneer is in a different league. Since it's a choice between the Tosh and the Sony then the Tosh is the better one. It still get's great reviews against the Pioneer. Pain about the scarts mind!