• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

toshiba sd590ekb true or false

tonyq123

Standard Member
i have just bought this model from currys instead of the standard cheap one..the only reason i was buying one of these is so i can plug in my memory stick and watch avi movies instead of using nero to transcode it then put on disc etc..

i really just wanted it for the usb port so i was going for the cheap one as the only diference was the upscaling to 1080 ..

my question to anyone is does this work?

or should i have just went for the cheapest one as the upscale is nonsence..
ive not got my new tv yet so cant check it but my friend says it wont upscale when i do get it so i thought ive been conned yet again..

also it only takes a 4gig memory stick max and mine is 16 gig..
and can only play files under 1 gig..

its so annoying when these sales guys dont tell you this..

thanks in advance

Yardstick

I've got the sd 590 and despite the restrictions on USB slot I thinks its a great DVD player, especially for less than £40. But back to your point, your HD TV will upscale to its maximum resolution, so that could be 720p or 1080i, guess it all depends on the upscaling ability of your TV. I've got the tosh 37x3030 (1080p) and I've conected the DVD player via HDMI and I get a decent picture. It's not going to be 'true' HD as its only upscaled.

Hope this helps

tonyq123

Standard Member
hi again,
i got my new tv and connected it up using HDMI lead..but when i press the HDMI button it keeps saying not avaliable at this time..

is it supposed to say this?

cheers

Yardstick

not sure of your question mate,

are you wanting to change the HDMI setting on the DVD player, was it to change the HDMI output (720p, 1080i, 1080p). If you can tell me what you wanted to press the HDMI button for I'll try and help.

I have a SD590 hooked via HDMI to a Panny 37X10, and find I get a better pic setting the SD590 to output at 480/576 and letting the TV upscale!

Anyone else finding this, or think there are ways to get better results?

That said, the pic is frikkin' amazing already - watched the opening battle from Star Wars Ep3 on it and the detail was incredible!

Dave

blaster9999

I have a SD590 hooked via HDMI to a Panny 37X10, and find I get a better pic setting the SD590 to output at 480/576 and letting the TV upscale!

Anyone else finding this, or think there are ways to get better results?

That said, the pic is frikkin' amazing already - watched the opening battle from Star Wars Ep3 on it and the detail was incredible!

Dave

As dvd upscalers go this is a cheap one, to an extent you go pay for what you get. panny pq is pretty good, lots tv have better upscaling tech than players. Having said that wait until you give a real hd source :) pscaling will only take you so far.

tonyq123

Standard Member
hi,
what i meant was i was unsure how to set the dvd to hd upscaling...

i figured it out in the menu..when i was pressing the hdmi button it was doing nothing because you cant use it on playback..before i was just using it with a scart..but now im using it with a hdmi cable as ive just got me new hd tv..

on the front all the wee lights were on under the numbers if that makes sense..but i went into menu and changed it to 1080p

but now just the light under 1080p is on..
this is my first flat tv just moving from an old crt..so it might have something to do with my settings on tv because i cant notice any diffence on bbc 1 and bbc hd when there showing same programs on my virgin v+ box...or ch4 and 4hd..so im thinking its my new panasonic s10 and not the dvd player...

do i have to do anything in tv setting to let the tv upscale it if i leave dvd set to 480/576 or does the tv do it automaticly??

thanks guys..

ps ive also got a post on plasma tv section

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-televisions/1143686-given-tx-p42s10b-mistake.html
http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-televisions/1143686-given-tx-p42s10b-mistake.html
if anyone can help out as im a complete novice and think i should have got the x10 instead but its a long story..lol:facepalm:

somersetpaul

hi,
what i meant was i was unsure how to set the dvd to hd upscaling...

i figured it out in the menu..when i was pressing the hdmi button it was doing nothing because you cant use it on playback..before i was just using it with a scart..but now im using it with a hdmi cable as ive just got me new hd tv..

on the front all the wee lights were on under the numbers if that makes sense..but i went into menu and changed it to 1080p

but now just the light under 1080p is on..
this is my first flat tv just moving from an old crt..so it might have something to do with my settings on tv because i cant notice any diffence on bbc 1 and bbc hd when there showing same programs on my virgin v+ box...or ch4 and 4hd..so im thinking its my new panasonic s10 and not the dvd player...

do i have to do anything in tv setting to let the tv upscale it if i leave dvd set to 480/576 or does the tv do it automaticly??

thanks guys..

ps ive also got a post on plasma tv section

if anyone can help out as im a complete novice and think i should have got the x10 instead but its a long story..lol:facepalm:

Just picked up one of these. If you want to change the resolution sent via HDMI you can either use the HDMI button on the player or remote, or do what you have done and go in to the menu. If using either of the HDMI buttons you have to stop playback first otherwise you get the message you mentioned.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom