Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Toshiba SD530 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by YorkDVD, Jan 20, 2005.

1. YorkDVD

YorkDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello does anybody know about the Toshiba SD530 there are no reviews about this DVD player I don’t know how new it is. Any feedback much appreciated. :lease:

2. boomshanks

boomshanks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a tosh sd 240e free with my tosh 32zp48 back in December. After about two weeks it died, so i called toshiba supprt to get a replacement. They said they were out of stock. Now (four weeks later) they called me to say that they are in stock and will arange a courier etc. Courier just turned up with an sd 530e - well chuffed. I will let you know how I get on with it.

3. wackyraces

wackyraces

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've owned a Toshiba SD530e for about 6 months now. For the money, it has been a fantastic player. I don't have a progessive scan TV, so I can't confirm whether the progressive scan is any good. It has played every single type of disc I have thrown at it. Mp3 playback has been fine. DVD Audio playback is okay. The think the unit is the same as the Toshiba sd4900 in the USA. It is based on the MT1379 chip, which is used in quite a number of players. The picture playback has been superb. The colours are bright and I haven't experienced any blocking etc.

4. boomshanks

boomshanks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whackyraces, is your unit multiregion? If so, did you buy it like that or is there/do you know of a remote control hack?

My TV supports prog scan but I must admit I don't really know what it is - but it sounds good so I will (try to) use it. While we're on, I will be using composite video leads for the picture, but I am undecided as to whether to use coaxial or optical audio out - my TV accepts either. Is it a silly question to ask if one is obviously better than the other?

Thanks

5. wackyraces

wackyraces

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The DVD player must be capable of supporting progressive scan. Progressive scan, as far as I am aware is only done through component output. You should notice a difference compared with interlace.

I bought the player from Richer Sounds as multiregion and it has played everything including RCE disks.

I personally use Digital Coaxial output to my receiver but you can use either. There is a massive debate as to whether one is better than the other. I feel it's down to preference only.

6. wackyraces

wackyraces

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    As far as I am aware this hack works on it:

Put in DVD.
    When you get region whining message press: [menu] [1] [play]
    Disc should play, but with region message still up.
    Press Marker then Clear. Message is now gone.

The above is for the SD4900, which is the same player.

7. VeronicaElectro

VeronicaElectro
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    got mine from richer sounds, was MR out of the box, u could always ring them if u have problems?

8. boomshanks

boomshanks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That hack didn't work, but i managed to find a file which I downloaded and burned onto a CD. The player is now region free - winner.

Watched Lord of The Rings (Fellowship) at the weekend in prog scan and was very impressed. The colours and crispness (especially apparent in the first few scenes in The Shire) were fantastic. I would highly recommend this player.