1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD520E

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by keithyb, Sep 25, 2003.

1. keithyb

keithyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Setup:

I Have a Sony TV with only 2 scart sockets - but I am due to upgrade this soon - Would like a Toshiba TV

I have a Technics SC-EH760 hi-fi System which has a tri-amp that uses 2 Front speakers 1 centre and 2 rears plus 5.1 inputs but no digital inputs.

I have a Toshiba SD520e DVD player with various outputs and decoders although I don’t think it has a DTS decoder.

Also have Sky and a Video player.

Currently I am connecting the DVD p[layer to the TV via Scart cable as this is the only option for me at the moment. - Q: What should I look for in the new TV? and what is the best connection type for me to look at.

I connect the 5.1 analogue outputs from the DVD into the 5.1 inputs on the hi-fi. The two front speakers a tri-wired, the centre and two rears are already wired up and connect into the hi-fi via a phono plug. - Q1, the 5.1 connection between the DVD and the hi-fi amp is the only option I have with this hi-fi would I get much improvement if I upgraded the system to one with an digital / optical link? - Q2, The rears are ok, but I would like to upgrade the rear speakers to get a bit more sound from them and was thinking of a bi-polar model. Can this be done or will it damage my amp?

Not sure if this has been placed into the correct forum, Sorry if not.

If anyone can shed some light for me as to the best set-up options available to me.

Thanks

2. ivodanoesastro

ivodanoesastro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get an AV-receiver with a digital coaxial or digital optical link you will let the Digital-Analogue-Converter in the receiver do the translation work instead of the one in the Toshiba 520E. It all depends on which one is better, although most dedicated receivers are better than DVD-players in doing the job.

Connecting a Bi-Polar model should in it self be harmless to your amplifier. But to make it worthwhile check if the sensitivity ( 88db, 89 db or 90 db) and the impedance ( 4 ohm, 6 ohm, 8 ohm) of the speaker are compatible with the AMP.

Ivo