Toshiba SD520e

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Peter Parker, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,580
    Well, after sending back the Philips 963sa, I decided to try the Toshiba. I'll be using it with my NEC HT1000 projector.

Toshibas always seem to get good reviews, so it wouldn't hurt to try one. Richer Sounds price matched it, and I picked it up this morning.

Well, after I tried a few disks out, I found that I actualy prefer the image it produces over the 963. Unlike the 963, it calibrates easily using Avia needle pulse tests to set white and black levels, and using the resolution tests meant that I didn't have to reduce sharpness too much either.

Progressive scan in ntsc is quite noticably better - a fantasticly rich image with no mosquito noise (that I've seen yet anyway) and was better than the Philips in my opinion.

I always use Titanic to check for colour posterisation - the scen where the sub at the beginning of the film sinks into the depths on its way down to the wreck. What you should see is a smooth graduation of light to dark blue as the glow of the lights sinks into the blackness. The Philips failed miserably by showing distinct bands of blue instead of a smooth change from light to dark. The Toshiba showed a very minor amount, so was far better in comparison.

However, my unit has a slight 'convergence' problem with PAL - there is a very slight green fringe to the lest of some edges, and a slight purple one to the right. NTSC is perfect in both interlaced and progressive.

It looks like I'll need to get it replaced or fixed, but as I'm so hapy with what I've seen so far, I would like to stick with this model.

I had considered the Harmon Kardon DVD25 due to it's PAL and NTSC progressive scan, so I may get a demo sometime, but until then, the Tosh is more than adequate, especialy for ntsc. I just hope the PAL issue is fixable.

Gary.

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the info. Any comments on the CD ability in comparsion to the 963? WHF seemed to think the 963 did well in that area.

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,580
    Hi Daneel,

I didn't try the Philips with cds, as my cinema room is set up purely for movies, so music isn't a consideration there.

I've not tried the Toshiba yet, but I wouldn't mind betting it's cheaper because it hasn't had the money spent on it's music capabilities, though I could be wrong.

I'm not much of an audiophile wirh music, so I dont think my comments would count for much anyway I'm afraid.

Gary.