1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD520 and DVD-Audio problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by russraff, Feb 13, 2003.

1. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have only just got around to testing this player with some DVD-A disks, and may have discovered a problem. The subwoofer output from this player seems to be very quiet indeed. So much so, that I thought the subwoofer output was completely dead! I have to put my amplifier's subwoofer gain to +10db in order to compensate, but even this doesn't bring the level up to DD or DTS standards (via digital link, not 6ch input). There is a similar lack in bass using the 520's internal dd decoder for DD material. I have already exchanged this player once and they both have the same "fault".

So the question is: Are all 520 players like this, or has mine got a genuine fault?

Thanks in advance – Russell

2. lespaton

lespaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it there are no discrete low frequency effects (LFE's) on DVD-A and SACD disks, that is, there is no .1 channel (or at least very rarely). So it is not surprising that you cannot here them.
    There is a long discussion on this in one of the ROTEL forums, concerning the 1066 processor. There the discussion is on the opposite effect. Rotel "engineer" a bass effect on the .1 channel, resulting in a double-bass effect on DVD-A and SACD disks ( same bass on both front L/R and on sub), which many users find unacceptable.
    As to the difference between DTS and DD, this seems to be common on many disks.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks. Thats cleared that up, then!

Russell