Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Toshiba SD520 and DVD-Audio problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by russraff, Feb 13, 2003.

1. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I have only just got around to testing this player with some DVD-A disks, and may have discovered a problem. The subwoofer output from this player seems to be very quiet indeed. So much so, that I thought the subwoofer output was completely dead! I have to put my amplifier's subwoofer gain to +10db in order to compensate, but even this doesn't bring the level up to DD or DTS standards (via digital link, not 6ch input). There is a similar lack in bass using the 520's internal dd decoder for DD material. I have already exchanged this player once and they both have the same "fault".

So the question is: Are all 520 players like this, or has mine got a genuine fault?

Thanks in advance – Russell

2. lespaton

lespaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it there are no discrete low frequency effects (LFE's) on DVD-A and SACD disks, that is, there is no .1 channel (or at least very rarely). So it is not surprising that you cannot here them.
    There is a long discussion on this in one of the ROTEL forums, concerning the 1066 processor. There the discussion is on the opposite effect. Rotel "engineer" a bass effect on the .1 channel, resulting in a double-bass effect on DVD-A and SACD disks ( same bass on both front L/R and on sub), which many users find unacceptable.
    As to the difference between DTS and DD, this seems to be common on many disks.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks. Thats cleared that up, then!

Russell