Toshiba SD510E

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Yazoo, May 15, 2002.

1. Yazoo

Yazoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered the above, I'm I a fool for doing this? or is this a good player?

2. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most people regard this as a _very_ good player. i think youll be happy unless you try and play DVD-R disks.

see thread;

Toshiba 510E won't play DVD-Rs

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +717
    No at all.. Its a very nice player.

Last year, I wanted one, but Toshiba kept on delaying the release.. In the end I went for a Pioneer 545, which I am very happy with.. But I still prefer the Toshiba (for its features)

Especially as it can be bought for £250, its a bargin of the century.

However, there is a cloud.. It doesn't seem to be play DVD-Rs "written in a certain way", so this may be a problem for you...

Other than that, its supurb!

4. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I thought I'd tag on the end here rather than creating a new one.

I have recently bought a Tosh SD-510E DVD player (multi-region from Webelectricals) and also a Tosh 32ZP18P.

I am experiencing some funnies with the pciture that I'm not sure is down to the TV or the DVD. I need to try and borrow someone else's TV and DVD to check this out but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone else experienced this.

I have a good (not excellent but gold/fully screened) quality SCART cable and the bundled component cable and have tried both RGB through Ext1 and Component through Ext4.

When viewing DVDs (R1/R2/R4) I detect low level flicker in most scenes. Now I've spotted this it is all I can see. I also notice on a fully black screen there are pulsating areas that change shaed of black (?). In addition to this I have seen the dreaded ZP18 "brightness fluctuation" which I know about.

The problem is I don't know if all of the things I am seeing are down to the known ZP18 BF problem or whether I have other problems either in the TV or DVD (or possibly cables but I doubt it).

Anyone else seen anything like this?

5. Yazoo

Yazoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I read that thread but the DVD-R issue doesn't effect me as I don't use them and don't plan on using them, yet.

6. Yazoo

Yazoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is the 510 from webelectricals, RCE CompatIble (Plays RCE Discs)?

7. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just ordered the Tosh 510E from Webelectricals to replace my 1 year old LG 3350, I am assuming there should be a noticable difference in both sound and Picture, not to mention unit features.

Webelectricals commit to next day delivery (if in stock), I'll be interested to know othere people's experiences with this company.

8. ajbird

ajbird
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just spent £360 on one of these this week from sevenoaks

I think I am going to cry now

:(

sniff sniff

Andy

9. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ajbird - will they not price match up to 7/14 days after purchase?

From the lack of response to my question a few posts back I take it that no one sees flicker or pulsating areas when watching DVDs on the 510.

If this is the case then it is down to the TV I think!

10. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    May sound silly but I cancelled my order, they had guaranteed next day delivery but this is working day i.e. Monday rather than Saturday, no offers of delivering Saturday so out of principal I'll go elsewhere. Any ideas on where else I could go except for Richer Sounds ?

11. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ajbird

dont feel too peived, I ordered one of these from rs a week last thursday, they sent it on friday, and one week later - guess what the courier company has said its disappeared :mad: :mad: :mad:
    although it did make into the back of the drivers lorry for my area suprise suprise...

looks like they will have to send another, when I'll get this is anyones guess

not happy bunny over this I have to say...

:update
    rs to their credit are sending another out via another 24hr courier from monday

12. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a 32ZP18P and have never noticed any brightness fluctuation problems. Is it only on DVD's or on TV programmes too?

I have been considering getting a new DVD player with Component Video out so that I can use the 3 SCART for Sky, VCR & DTT STB (as long as they don't come and collect it!). Am currently using my old Sony DVD player on SCART 3. Will I notice any difference in the picture quality on Component, and does it allow for automatic switching on Widescreen?

The two players I have in mind are the Tosh 220 or the 510. Is the 510 worth the extra money? The features seem to be very similar....

13. ockih

ockih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the flickering on the 510. What shall we do?

14. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ockih
    what tv are you using?

15. ockih

ockih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thomson 32 widescreen vk45es. High quality cable (Supra)

I think the problem is most severe on R1, but I might be imagining...

What is your setup?

16. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    hi I have the 510 connected to my thomson as well as my projector & also get some flicker on my tv if i use an rgb signal & view some r1 movies I solved this by changing the output to svhs on the tosh and selecting svhs input on the tv I think you can use av2 which can accept an svhs signal via scart you must switch your av input on your tv as well to svhs this solved it for me, svhs isnt as good as rgb but you dont get the flickering

17. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 32ZP18 TV and 510 DVD. My flicker occurs with almost all DVD titles - both R1 and R2 although it has been the R2 titles that have suffered most (coincidence I think). Both TV and DVD are new so I don't know which is causing the problem. I think I can also see the flicker on some analogue broadcasts but because the picture is poorer anyway it is hard to determine whether it is flicker or just noise. I get flicker/pulsating in a black screen from my DV camcorder connected via Composite or S-Video, but I can't tell if this occurs during normal playback. I get the same from my DVD in RGB, Component, S-Video and to a lesser extent in Composite. I got a slightly better Component cable but this was no better. I may just buy an even better one this week to see if that helps - can this problem be down to the cabling?

DVD is the worst. Almost every scene (darker ones admittedly) flicker and it is very distracting. I have seen this now on Episode I and Fight Club (and to some extent on other titles).

I have tried connecting my DVD to my portable but cannot see any flicker (too small to see it?). I have also tried connecting to my brother's and father's TVs but these have other problems which are much worse so can't check for the flickering. I now need to borrow a DVD player to check the TV.

Not happy. I've got an engineer coming out to check on the TV (which I have blamed initially to ensure I report the fault within my 28 day period) but I'm now worried it could be down to the DVD which I feel less comfortable out going wrong (how's Webelectricals service?).

18. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    redlester

Do you get the pulsating/flickery areas on a totally "black" screen? If you check tonight when it is dark, and pause a DVD when a black screen comes up (try between the distributors logo and the start of the film for example) do you see horizontal areas that kind of pulsate/flicker with different shades of black(!). If you put brightness to 50 you should see this. I notice that dropping brightness to 45 the problem is harder to see but it is there.

If you don't get this effect I would really like to know because I can then tell the engineer.

I could live with this only happening on totally black scenes but I do get a flicker on almost all other scenes as well which I am assuming is down to the same problem.

What is your connection and cabling quality?

19. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still getting flicker - had an engineer out today and he says it is a problem but he'll get onto Toshiba. Worst scene on the DVDs I own is Chapter 6 of The Matrix (R4) when Neo is in the interrogation room - the whole scene flickers but especially noticeable just Neo is in shot with the greeny walls showing behind.

Anyway I now have another problem!

Just bought a load of DVDs in the 2 for £20 offer in Woolies. Got American Pie (R2) and have just been watching it put it is very juddery - any movement is simply unwatchable.

This is the first problem I have seen like this (although both TV and DVD are only a month old).

For example, in the opening scene where 2 guys are walking side by side, the movement is terrible. Has anyone else suffered this problem with this film? Could I have a duff disk? I've checked an online review of the film and it says the quality is pretty good. Is it more likely to be a problem with my player or (100Hz) TV?

Help!

20. Yazoo

Yazoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    American Pie (R2) plays fine on my 510
    As does The Matrix (R2).

21. RossG

RossG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have seen flicker whilst watching DVDs with my 510 although this may be due to interference from the other scart socket, I have a Philips 32PW6006 which doesn't seem to have particularly good screening between inputs.

However, when I use RGB the picture is incredibly dark and I have to crank up the brightness to ~72. Is this a problem with the DVD player or the TV?

Thanks

Ross

22. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RossG

Can't say I've noticed any difference between the various outputs from the 510 (although it has been a while since I used RGB - only tested it when I first got it as I use Component normally). I have been using Component, Composite and S-Video quite a lot recently while I investigate the American Pie problem above - no noticeable difference (although I wasn't looking for any).

Therefore, I would suggest that it is the TV that has different brightness levels on its various inputs (but cannot guarantee this!)

All

I now believe my American Pie problem is down to the TV not the disc or the player (as I've swapped the disc for a new one and I can do some stuff in the TV menus to fix the problem). Just thought I'd update!

I also believe my previous flicker problem is also down to the TV (although from what I here there may also be another flicker produced by the DVD!). This has been tested on a display model in HoF (36") although admittedly with a Tosh SD-210 DVD player (which probably has similar inards to the 510 so not the ideal test perhaps).