Toshiba SD370E Upscaling DVD Player & 32WLT66 Toshiba LCD TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andrews72, Sep 13, 2007.

1. andrews72

andrews72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hi have a Toshiba 32WLT66 LCD TV which is currently connected via SCart to an aging Sharp DVD Home Cinema System, (non-progressive scan). I also have the Toshiba Sub-Woofer.

My question is this. If I buy the Toshiba SD370E upscaling DVD player, am I likley to see a noticable improvment in DVD playback. The sharp produces what i think ar pretty good images anway, so I wonder whether I am making the best use of the TV or not?

Is it true to say that HD TV's upscale all footage to a certain degree, in order to display them at the TV's native resoltion? If so the question has to be whether the HDMI DVD player will upscale the images to a higher quality than the TV?

Surely the upscaling abilities of the TV (given is much higher price) far exceeds that of a £60 upscaling DVD player?

Lastly, will a tru HD DVD / Blue Ray player upscale standard DVD's any better than say the SD370E?

A lot of questions here, so thanks for any help.

2. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    I think the 'upscaling feature' is a red herring. However, by using the hdmi connection the picture is much improved (to my eyes). I have a panasonic lcd 32in tv and the old sd360e, which is a similar setup to yours. I would go for it!

Graham

3. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    With that combo you will see an improvement, the player will upscale better than the display, because I've tried it with that equipment. I wouldn't buy the 370E though because of the freezing issue.

4. BrianPK

BrianPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    I am almost certain that a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player would do a better job of upscaling than a £50 Tosh. 370e player but having said that I was amazed at the quality of the upscaled image from the 370e on my Pana. 42PX60 plasma compared to my Pioneer dv- 575 player.In my case the 1080i and 720p images are superior to the basic hdmi connection but beware ....the 370e player has a downside.It has a bad habit of freezing the picture for about 5 secs. once every couple of hours of viewing and then carrying on as normal.It also struggles to recognise(but eventually succeeds) some dvd-r discs.If you are easily irritated then this may not be for you but it has a mighty picture:)