1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD340E -trouble reading disks

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cuseeme, Jan 8, 2005.

1. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just taken delivery of a Toshiba SD340E. Whilst it plays most pressed DVDs fine, it barfs on the 'free' Monsters inc disk that came with it and all DVD-R disks I have tried which were recorded on a Toshiba SX32. So far I'm not impressed as I'd hoped it would cope with disks from another Toshiba. I see others here on the forum have found similar issues.

Do Toshiba ever do fixed/updated firmwares or should I be considering returning it?

2. jeff9999

jeff9999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought one myself and have similar problems with reading some DVD-R. This is particulary suprising bearing in mind they were created on the Toshiba RDXS32 recorder. I am also considering returning it.

Richer sounds are doing the Panasonic DVD-S27 for £39.95 and it reads the discs fine. It also reads RAM. Can't tell the difference between them at the moment in terms of picture quality but I am about to get a 17" LCD so I will see if that makes a difference.

In my case these are used in the bedroom so difference in large screen quality is unlikely to show.

3. Sra

Sra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also having the same problem but this is with bought dvds too and it seems to be getting worse. It came with the TV ( last autumn) from an online company who were not terrific to deal with when the TV stand arrived with a part missing ( Unbeatable ) so I was hoping someone might have fixed the problem other than returning it.
    It keeps periodically stalling or breaking up on the screen as if there is dust ( which there wasn't ) on the disc and it happens every time now with every disc. Help !!

4. jeff9999

jeff9999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my Phillips 17PF9946 LCD. The Toshiba is slightly better dealing with blacks than the Panasonic. It's marginal between them and the 'other half' can't see the difference. I'm probably gonna keep both 'cause £40 for a Pansonic DVD player is about the same as the recent parking ticket I just got for being 5 - 10 minutes late back to a local car park. Know which I prefer to pay for!

5. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried it with SX32 disks? It looks like a good subsitute if so.