1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD340E multiregion - a word of warning.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cyberheater, Nov 9, 2004.

1. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I've recently received 2 x Tosh SD340E DVD players to connect up to my Panny AE200 projector using progressive scan component vid cables.

The problem is that the 'blacks' coming out of the DVD player aren't black. They're a dark grey!

The strange thing is; when I test the DVD player using the THX optimizer on my Starwars DVD. The THX test patterns do show a true black but as soon as the movie starts. Bang. Dark grey again.

I suspect that there are different video flags on the THX optimizer patterns compared to the film.

I've phoned Toshiba and they say that this is not normal behaviour but also, they do not ship any multiregional DVD players. It seems that the company I bought my player from must upgrade the firmware which causes the issue.

Just be careful. I'm sure that the standard region 2 players are fine.

Shame really. As I really did like the picture quality and it's a really nice player.

2. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    any other 340 owners noticed this problem?

3. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Checked mine, got it mutli region from amazon, and its ok, think the picture is really good, esp on prog scan. Blacks look ok

4. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Does this player have an option to produce a 'blacker than black' NTSC signal? Check out the setup menu, that might be an option.

Also, with it being on an LCD projector, you will struggle to get 'black' blacks, as opposed to dark grey ones.