Toshiba SD340E Mini Review

cyberheater

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My usual set up is a Xbox running component progressive scan (480p) to my Panasonic AE200 projector with stunning results.

I've tried a few progressive scan DVD players and thought they all looked really crap against my Xbox setup.... Until now.

I'm now the proud owner of a Toshiba SD340E DVD player and couldn't be more pleased.

Pros.
The setup menus are really easy to navigate and setup up.

Colour and definition on DVD's are spot on. Lord of the Rings looks amazing and almost looks 3-D. Contrast and image depth is also wonderful. Images have a beautiful natural feel to them. All in all, i'm really impressed.

No noise from the player (which is a great relief from using my noisy Xbox).

Negs.

The whole machine feels quite plasticky and the remotes a bit naff. Not that i'm too bothered..

Summary. A worthwhile and noticable upgrade from the Xbox (but the Xbox does come quite close).

Hope this helps somebody.

cyberheater said:
My usual set up is a Xbox running component progressive scan (480p) to my Panasonic AE200 projector with stunning results.

I've tried a few progressive scan DVD players and thought they all looked really crap against my Xbox setup.... Until now.

I'm now the proud owner of a Toshiba SD340E DVD player and couldn't be more pleased...

Hope this helps somebody.

Cyberheater - would you know if this unit can play DVD-RWs or DVD+RWs ?
I have an SD100 which is a bit bolshy so far on playing these types - may have to upgrade from my beloved SD100 and want at least as good pictue and sound from the new unit

Ta muchly in advance

I agree the 340e is a superb player for the money.However i am a little dissapointed with progressive playback.Most of the time interlaced is better on my 32zp48.Dont know if anyone else has noticed this?

Is the toshiba SD-240E picture and sound quality any good by any chance???

Need more information and advice before 9am please. g'night

cheers

tris

When I connected my xbox to my AE100 projector the picture was rubbish. Going back a long time ago though. Mind you that was interlace dvd playback I think. Only the games were progressive. Surprised its rated so highly. A lot better than ps2 component output though I have to say. Gamecube seems to give the best component output but even thats not a patch on the old dreamcast using a vga box. I think generally the later xbox's have better contrast than my early model which always seems to give out a slightly dark image. Even with an RGB scart cable you have to turn the brightness up a bit compared to other consoles.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom