1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD340 problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pete3rd, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Pete3rd

Pete3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I recently bought a Toshiba SD340 and used a handset hack to make it multi regional. All seemed fine it played region 1, 2 & 5 disks no problem, however it will not play 3 Disney region 1 disks I have bought recently (worked fine on my old Wharfedale M-5) and refuses to play another pre-recorded region 2 disk just displaying DVD-R and refusing to access it?

Some new audio CD's also will not read. These have not been mistreated at any stage and are pre-recorded originals!!

When the CD/DVD's refuse to play the disk drive seems to make quite a loud humming before refusing to play.

Has anyone else experienced this with a Toshiba player?

Basically will I get the same symptoms with a replacement or have I just unluckily picked up a knackered player? :(

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The drives toshiba use on the 340e are of poor quality,obviously to cut costs.I have had one for a while and it has been excellent but i have heard of other units not playing certain discs.Try a replacement and see how it goes.

3. SKH

SKH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Pete3rd,

Welcome to the 'club'. I also acquired the SD340 having read all the reviews/hype - wish I'd visited the forum first!!! I'm on my third replacement now - all 3 had issues similar to those you've described. It really really is a flawed and c**p machine I'm afraid. If you want a laugh (or cry!), take a look at the thread with title 'Suspect SD340 - Hype???!'

As it happens, Toshiba are more than happy to swap them out but you seem to get the same s**t in return. I've just written to them asking what they will do now as I'm on my 3rd replacement and I don't want the another replacement back. If they do nothing, I'll take immense pleasure in taking a sledgehammer and smashing the thing to pieces - capturing this on camera - and emailing this to Toshiba Tech Support!!!

Best Regards,

Sanjeev

4. Pete3rd

Pete3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the experience Sanjeev.

My player will now play all the disks OK bar 2. It needed a power reset after I tried some DIVX playback (an earlier thread suggested this as a cure) Pre-recorded titles which it insists are "bad discs" Audio CD's seem to be the main problem loading for 20 seconds making loud humming noises before giving up the ghost and displaying bad disk.

After your reply I'm not sure on the best course of action now. Do I risk another possibly dodgy player or cut my loses and exchange it for another model completely. :(

Thanks for the feedback