1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD340 DVD-R DivX

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dalyraptor, Jan 5, 2005.

1. dalyraptor

dalyraptor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this player is pretty sweet for the price. Only things I don't like are the remote control and its inability to play DivX from DVD-R discs.

Was wondering why this is the case and if anyone knows a way around this?

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Are you sure it can't play divx from dvd-r? Seems a strange restriction. Its more likely the player doesn't like the actual media used. I know Toshiba fit some pretty ropey dvd drives as I had a Toshiba in the past myself and that seems the much more likely reason. It was a 330e and was rubbish at reading a lot of dvd-r media.

3. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    i've tried to play several types of divx on cd-r and it doesn't want to know. in the manual it says it will only accept 650mb cd-r and not cd-rw. PANTS if you ask me!

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    So what are we saying here it doesn't like dvd-r, cd-rw and some cd-r?

I read somewhere the Toshiba can be updated with a Philips firmware. Might be worth looking into if the Toshiba firmware is a bit iffy.

5. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    On mpeg-playcentre someone mentioned using the philips 720sa firmware on the Toshiba machine. And its been quoted on here by me and else where by other people. However if you search on the net quite alot of places say its based on a Zoran Vladdis 7 chip so the last thing you want to do is use mediatek based firmware. You might be able to find out from the firmware info in the menus for the 340E or open it up and look at the chip itself.

6. jeff9999

jeff9999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's interesting you mention inability to read DVD-R. I have just bought one of these to replace an old Toshiba deck which didn't play many DVD-R and guess what neither does this one. Partuclarly annoying is the fact that the DVD-R were written by my Toshiba XS32! Is this normal for a DVD player or is it just Toshiba?

I am thinking of taking it back and getting a Panasonic DVD-S27 which also reads RAM apparently.

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I don't know if the firmware can be used but both players are mediatek 1389 based. The Zoran Vaddis 7 has only recently started shipping I think and is in the latest Samsung model and is the first Zoran chipset with divx. I notice on the review of the Philips they mentioned the player had a slowish drive which would tally with the Toshiba model from the sound of it.

8. what?

what?

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can i just ask, does the toshiba 340 play divx on dvd-r's or not. i've heard so many people say different things.

9. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I should do IMO, thats kinda the point surely.

10. what?

what?

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right, i'm gonna buy the toshiba. it seems like a good cheap dvd player, and i'm looking at it as a bonus that it plays divx. but if anyone can give me a concrete answer that would be great.

11. superkully

superkully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 340E and I can tell you that is definately plays DivX (MPEG-4) on CD-Rs and DVD-Rs (single layer, ¬ tested dual layer discs).

There are two issues:

- It can get itself in a bit of 'tis if you play DivX on a DVD-R and then try and play on a CD-R (and vice-versa). This is fixed by putting it into standby and the on again.
    - It switches to composite of its own accord sometimes after I've switched it off, although this could well be down to my television not auto-switching to RGB in (never done it with _any_ other bit of AV equipment though).

12. what?

what?

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks so much for the answer. what brand dvd-r are you using? and why do so many people seem to be having trouble playing them?

13. superkully

superkully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using Ridisc err.. discs. The ones with the film-reel pattern on the top. Think they were about £6 for 25 - not had a single coaster yet.

The Toshiba's stupidly low tolerance for surface imperfections annoys me more every day.

14. what?

what?

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it came today! wahay! it's cool. it plays my divx's on dvd-rw, so that's all i'm really worried about. seems like a nice little player. well worth the money.
    cheers for you help everyone!

15. what?

what?

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right, one more question. is it possible to play the subtitles on divx movies? i.e. the .sub and .srt files on the toshiba? if so how?

16. superkully

superkully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you played a DivX for more than, say, 30 minutes? I find my 340 starts stuttering if the DivX is on DVD and I watch it for any period of time.

17. dalyraptor

dalyraptor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 340E willl not recognise divx files on dvd-r, I'm using Verbatim.

As for CD-R, it will load 700MB disc but play is very stuttery. Problem could be down to some other things though, CD was written at 40x, video encoded using Xvid...

18. what?

what?

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm using imation dvd-rw, and verbatim dvd-r's and they all work fine. i\ve only noticed stutering on a few movies and only in scenes where the bitrate is really high. one movie seemed to stutter badly, and i couldn't notice any difference in the codec or anything. but everything else has been wicked.
    and yeah, whole movies play fine
    anyone know about the subtitles?

19. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    ok 1st off try burning at a lower speed (ALL my cd's are burned at 4x & DVD-R's at 1 or 2X at a push)

To the chap using verbatims, they are like really good disks so shouldnt give a problem, but you could try Ritek based media as they are usually ok too.

finally as a last resort if you do have to buy new, I have tried the phillips DVP-762 & that is pretty good, only struggling on some disks right at the end of the disk (got it for me mum at chrimbo) & the Kiss DP1000 which after the newest firmware is superb & with good support. The Kiss player is a snip at 70 quid.

as to how it compares to other more expensive players.... well that is the subjec tof me other post :)