toshiba sd330e

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by toshi, Dec 28, 2003.

1. toshi

toshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading all the reviews about how great this dvd player is and how it will play everything thrown at it I bought one from amazon and boy am i dissapointed. I have a digital video camera and the movies i make i save to cd (not having a dvd writer), usually mpeg files ranging from 30-40secs to 20-30mins. This dvd player has failed to play back any of these despite every other dvd player i have tried plays them without problem (even my friends budget matsui player).

Can this player actually play back individual mpeg movies. The only disks it has read are those that contain other files also, such as jpeg's and mp3's. But when i go into the cd directory its displays the folders but not any contents, unless the content is jpeg.

And whats the deal with having to select a preference of files to search for. Other (and cheaper) dvd players show all the readable files found on a cd (mpegs, jpegs, mp3 etc) but this player only shows the jpegs. If you want to play an mp3 which is on the same cd you have to eject the cd, go into the players setup menu, change the priority contents to to mp3 then put the cd back in....and wait for it to load (and it aint quick)

.and finally, even the review from what home cinema praised the player and the fact it can play back cd-rw disks, yet even the manual that came with the player doesnt recommend using them. Did the reviewer actually test the machine or just look at it.

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    For most people reading individual mpeg files and jpegs is a very low priority and many will never use these features at all. The high review scores that the little Toshiba have got are because of its excellent picture quality more than anything with regards dvds.

3. chipper

chipper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Tosh 220e and it struggles with virtually every format except original dvd's.
    I have burnt a few of my home movies as vcd's and it can't cope, yet when I try it on the 35 quid dvd player at work it runs them no problem.
    Even though few people might use dvd players to view these type of files, the fact that they struggle must surely be regonised and detract from the tosh's high scores in reviews.
    If I could choose again, I certainly wouldn't get another toshiba dvd player.

I have tried different brands of cd/r's, different software and write at a slow speed.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    There not great with regards copied media thats for sure. I sent my 330 back because the dvd loader started playing up after only about 2 months. Most of the chinese players have better loaders. Toshiba have fitted what appears to me a very weak and slow dvd loader to the 330. Its a great dvd player for those who only use original dvds assuming that my dvd loader problems aren't applicable to most 330s.

5. toshi

toshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its a shame cuz its a nice looking piece of kit and plays dvd's (which it was mostly built to do) very well. What angered me mostly was all the reviews i read, espescially ay amazon where the reviewers constantly repeated the phrase "it played everything i through at it" which was the main reason i bought it. If someone had actually been honest and said that its a great dvd player but doesnt handle jpegs too well and cant play individual mpeg movie clips, i wouldnt have bought one. I still might send it back.

Anyone have any tips on a good "plays everything" player. That is one that plays dvd video, mpeg files, jpegs and mp3's.

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220