Toshiba SD251 DVD/DIVX player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by moneypit23, Jun 20, 2005.

1. moneypit23

moneypit23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

Just looking on Pixmania and I came across this DVD player for £39.

SD251

To me it looks suspiciously like the Toshiba SD-150. Anyone know if this is just the same player, but for the French market?

Basically I'm looking for an LCD and DVD player for the bedroom and was going to get the Toshiba 27WL55 screen and was thinking of this player. Apart from possible warrenty issues, are there any other problems I should be aware of?

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Toshiba buy in most of their dvd players from chinese companies nowadays. They are restyled and little else. Thats why you can't seem to move without seeing some new Toshiba player sold somewhere. Its all getting a bit ridiculous.

If you want a true Toshiba dvd player you'll probably have to end up paying over £200 as most of the models below this are simply rebrands and the same is true of most other japanese companies.

The Pioneer 575 for example is designed and built in china for Pioneer and its a highly rated player and no doubt Pioneer have had some minor input in the design but practically every component is chinese and the main dvd decoding chip is chinese designed and I'm sure the firmware itself would have been written for them by mediatek in taiwan.

I had a Toshiba 330 which back along got a lot of best buys. Mine was total rubbish with a real iffy dvd drive and it couldn't cope well with low bit rate dvds (a real blocky mess on screen at times).

From my experience the low cost japanese rebrands are no better in quality than many of the players with unknown brands on.

3. moneypit23

moneypit23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for that - really interesting. It leads me on to another question, how do I know where the Japanese rebrands stop and the real Japanese ones start?

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Its a very good question. Take Denon for example. The top models are japanese designed and a year or so ago it was discovered their bottom end model was actually a low cost chinese model in a fancy Denon case. It was also sold at a middle price bracket between the chinese and Denon prices with the Hitachi brand on. Hitachi are the parent company of Denon.

Some chinese players are exceptional value for money anyway.

As a very rough guide indeed I would have to say any players that retail sub £100 before discounting have got to be almost exclusively chinese designs. At what point above that you start getting a bit more care and attention to the finer performance of players I would have to say £300. Thats leaves £100-300 where its actually quite hard to tell. Its only my own guesswork of course and I feel pretty safe with the sub £100 bit but I'm sure someone will probably point out that a £350 model from some company is all chinese made with chinese designed dvd logic chips. Maybe the only geniune japanese models are going to be old models nowadays except for the prestigious top end products.

Even the korean companies like LG and Samsung manufacture in china now due to higher costs in korea.

5. moneypit23

moneypit23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Wow, what a minefield! Thanks for the advice.