Toshiba SD22E and 64kbps MP3's.....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Uzeless, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Uzeless

Uzeless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried playing 64kbps MP3's on my new Toshiba SD22E but it just plays them with no sound(!!). The instruction manual says that 32kbps to 320kbps will work fine but I can only get 128kbps to work. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Banjaxe

Banjaxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are you using a low sample rate for your 64kbps MP3's?

It might be that non-standard sample rates will only play back on the analogue outputs (or not at all).

-Ronnie

3. Uzeless

Uzeless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmm. You've lost me a bit there. I'm recording my MP3's using Musicmatch Jukebox and I've never seen any setting for sample rates.
    Do you know what sample rates I should be using?

4. Banjaxe

Banjaxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just tried using MusicMatch to rip a CD at 64kbps and it automatically sets the sample rate to 22kHz.

The sample rate is basically how many times per second digital data is sent to the digital to analogue converter (DAC) in your DVD player or receiver.

If you are using digital cables to connect your DVD player to the rest of your system there is no standard for sending the data digitally at 22kHz (the lowest supported rate is normally 32kHz or 44.1kHz).

Your DVD player might still be able to process the signal internally and use it's own DAC to play back 22kHz signals. Try using the analogue outputs and see what happens (if you are already using the analogue outputs then I'm afraid it's no go).

MusicMatch uses 44kHz sampling at 96kbps but that sounds pretty distorted to me - 128kbps sounds a lot better.

-Ronnie

5. Uzeless

Uzeless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. Just done a bit of experimenting with the information you gave me and you are 100% correct!

I'll just record at 128kbps from now on.

Thanks for all your help.

Scott.

6. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uzeless,

I would suggest you to use LAME as encoder. It is probably the best encoder availabe.:smashin:

7. Uzeless

Uzeless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will give it a try.

Cheers!

Scott.