1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD220E + Pioneer 454/S

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AlanB, Aug 10, 2002.

1. AlanB

AlanB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought this player from Richersounds and was very pleased with the brilliant picture quality and features. However it wouldn't play Region 1 discs even though it was sold as Multi-Region! It kept displaying Disc Error on the display and message on TV stated Disc use Unauthorized. I thought this could be due to an RCE disc but others failed to play. Richersounds refunded money as they did not have any others in stock.

After reading other messages on this forum I see others have had problems with toshiba's. Could the above problem be caused by the 1.3 Firmware issue, a failed modification or RCE?

My other problem is I have an old TV which is PAL only (bad I know) and everything I have seen about this player suggests it cannot convert NTSC to PAL so Region 1 discs would play in Black and White. Is this correct??

Considering these problems I am now also looking into the Pioneer 454/S and wonder if anyone can give me any feedback on this player, picture quality and features.

I would be grateful for any help/feedback.

PS - Great forum!

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

I had the same problem with my first SD-220. It was most certainly *not* multiregion. I took it back and swapped it for another one (took a region 1 disc with me to test it with), and all is now fine.

The unit will only output PAL or NTSC - it will not output PAL60 so you are correct, it may not work properly with your PAL only TV.

Has your TV got a SCART socket though? If so, there is a very good chance that it will work correctly - in colour - using RGB on SCART.

With regards to the Tosh SD220 - it is an absolutely superb player for the money... I am very impressed with it.

Steve

3. snyphr

snyphr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I was aware the pioneer could output pal60. If you look at the user manual you will find that you can get it to output as PAL60. But the don't say it in so many words!

1.)Switch the player off
    2.) Press and hold >> (fast forward/skip button) and simultaneously press power.

The front panel on the player will display [welcome] and then either [PAL]/[NTSC]/[AUTO].

3.)switch off player and repeat step (2) to toggle between the different video modes.

This feature is in addition to the RGB video out via scart on all new Pioneer models which makes the Pioneer (almost) compatible with any scart TV out there!

4. AlanB

AlanB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your comments. Yes I do have a Scart socket on my TV which I have been using to connect my DVD player. Perhaps I could try the RGB trick to check if it works as I would really like to get the Tosh.

I did have an old Pioneer DV340 which was okay and allowed me to change the NTSC/PAL/Auto selection, so good hear this is still available on current Pioneers.

Just had an email from MultiRegionMagic.co.uk who have stated the Toshiba cannot convert NTSC to PAL, whereas the Pioneers can.

Perhaps I should just get the Toshiba and upgrade my TV! End of problem.

Alan

5. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

With an RGB SCART you will almost certainly not have a problem with the Tosh.

At worse, you might get a picture which is slightly stretched vertically. You certainly won't have a problem with colour though.

Steve