1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD220E No Longer Multi-region

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Wilbs, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Wilbs

Wilbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purchased a multiregion Toshiba SD-220E 12 months ago, and have not had one single problem and been very impressed with it until today.

Just got back from the US and whilst there I purchased a couple of R1 DVD's.
    Went to watch them today but getting "You are unathorised to view DVD - consult your manual", and cannot get any further

I know the player was actually multiregion before as I have watched countless R1 DVD's but over night I have lost that ability.
    R2 DVD's are still working fine.

Anyone came across it on this model, and if so is there anything I can do, or is it a case of paying somebody to reprogram it. :(

Thanks all :rolleyes:

2. coolhand101

coolhand101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you sure the disks you got aint RCE encoded?? that might be the reason.

3. Wilbs

Wilbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased Lord of the Rings 2 (two towers) and T3 from the US both R1, either work.

I tried serveral R1 DVD I watched on the player a few weeks ago and these also no longer work so I don't think it is because of RCE encoding.

Just came across reviews of the player posted on Amazon, and a few people there have experienced the same problem.

Looks like I might have to find somebody, or some place to get it reprogrammed.

4. kotlewm

kotlewm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I used to have this player and from memory I believe that there is a menu option to set the colour standard between PAL or auto. If it is set to PAL it will not play back NTSC disks. Perhaps this has been changed by accident?

If you wish to re-flash your firmware it can be done by downloading a bootable CD image from the Internet, I may still have a copy around somewhere on my other PC if you cannot find it.

Cheers

Martin.

5. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    we had a problem with one of these players at work the other day. the same thing happend to this guy machine and it was because he had the machine unplugged for 3 week while he was decorating. once he connected it up again he could not play R1 dvds. i think it quite a common thing with this player. you can re apply the MR code buy using a flash dvd

6. Wilbs

Wilbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice.

After having a good look around the web managed to find the flash.

Burned this to CD and applied it, and if like magic it is now once again multiregion.

7. pugwashgreg

pugwashgreg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi wilbs
    same happened to my sd-200e, could i be a pain and ask where you downloaded update from

8. Wilbs

Wilbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is were I got it from.

SD220 firmware flash

Follow the link and instructions provided from here.

Apparently the first link posted on the page the files are corrupt in some way so read the replies nearer the bottom and you will find a link to updated files.

9. pugwashgreg

pugwashgreg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks wilbs

10. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I would bring to peoples attention that this firmware flash should be done at their own risk (as with all firmware flashes) and understand the consequences of what you are about to do.