1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD220 Connection and Picture Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Juiceloose, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi folks,

I've just purchased my first DVD player (multi-region) and cannot get any sound from it when connected to my Denon 3802 receiver. I suspect I have either conected it up incorrectly or do not have the correct cables.

I've used the cable whcih was supplied with the unit (audio left and right, red and white and yellow video) to connect them up. The picture on region 2 DVd's is perfect but I cannot get any sound from my speakers. I've connected the DVD to the TV via a scart connection.

In addition when I insert a region 1 DVD I still get no sound but the picture rolls up from top to bottom constantly and from the bits I can make out between the rolling, the picture appears to be in black and white. Does this mean that my DVD hasn't been converted to multi region by the company I purchased it from, or is it a problem with my TV. The TV is a JVC standard 32" which I purchased in 1994.

Any assistance or advice you can give me on either the sound or picture problem would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Juiceloose.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon receiver - Need to use a digital audio cable (optical or coax, based on what connectors are available) and turn the digital output on in the DVD player's menus (if it's not on by default). Also, make sure you select the DTS or DD5.1 soundtrack for the DVD. Not much point having this receiver if you're not going to listen to DD5.1 or DTS (which you can't do using the RCA leads you got free with the player).

Rolling, black and white picture - sounds like your TV is not NTSC capable. A quick call to JVC should be able to confirm if this is indeed the case (assuming it doesn't say so in the manual). :)

Incidentally, if your DVD player was not multi-region, then the R1 disks wouldn't play at all.

3. Homer

Homer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon 1802 and remember when setting it up that the default input for the DVD was the Optical 1 input on the Receiver. If you do not have a digital input cable then set the optical input to off and the receiver should then pick up the analog signal from the red/white leads.

As for the black and white R1 DVD picture. I had the same problem, but the picture was in colour when the scart lead was connected into the RGB enabled Scart socket on the TV. If you have 2 scart sockets on your TV, try putting the DVD scart lead into the first one - if you havn't tried this already!

Homer.

4. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thanks for the very prompt replies Squirrel and Homer.

I'll go out and buy the optical or coax cable tomorrow morning.

Which of the two cables is best or are they similar ? and can you get them made up as my DVD player is under the TV but around four metres away from the Denon receiver.

Your thoughts on the TV were correct Squirrel. I've checked the instruction booklet and it isn't NTSC capable.

Looks like I'll have to buy a widescreen TV now as well. Plasma or CRT ?? Can you recommend any 32 inch units ?? Having read through a few of the comments in the forums there doesn't appear to be any unit without problems !!

Thanks again.

Juiceloose

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is best? Well, there you have a whole new argument I'm afraid! You'll have to search the forum and draw your own conclusions. The cables come in different lengths, it's just a question of finding a supplier that sells the right length. The web will more than likely give you the greatest choice.
    I thought so! It was because you said the picture was rolling.:)
    There certainly are no TVs without any problems. Perfection is hard, if not impossible, to come by. My own recommendation for a 32" CRT would be a Sony KV32LS60. But I own one, so I would say that ;) You can find my review here if you want to consider this TV in your shortlist: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37326&highlight=kv28ls60. If you search the forum for "KV28LS60" and "KV32LS60" and "LS60", you will find other helpful comments and experiences too. The important thing is to make sure you view the range of TVs you are considering in person yourself - don't buy before you try ;) And make sure you search the forum for the models you are considering (as you are already doing) :)

Best of luck! :)

6. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Squirrel,

Thanks again for your prompt response.

I'll be off shopping for a connection cable and tv this weekend. Have checked your review on the Sony and will seek one out.

Thank you.

Juiceloose

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Hi

Set the Audio output on the dvd player to Bitstream and then it will be a case of selecting whichever Audio track on the actual dvd disc (Dolby or DTS). Setting the video output to RGB will give you the best picture connected via Scart to AV1 on your TV.

You can assign the digital inputs on the Denon to whatever input you want Optical 1 to DVD, CD, VDP etc. Same with the Coaxial input.

Cheers