Toshiba SD210E vs Arcam DV88p

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by camlogan, Jan 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there all, I recently upgraded my DVD player from a Tosh SD210E to an Arcam DV88p and I thought I would share this experience with those who are thinking about doing something similar in the furture.

I won't talk about the cd sound other than to say - to me it seems excellant (but then again I had a sony cd/md combo system so the sound was never that great anyway).

I am using a Sim2 DMF projecting on a 5 foot screen. The interlaced picture on the SD210E and the DV88p actually seemed to be fairly similar. The detail on the DV88p was better but it wasn't necessarily that more colorful. The jagged edges in movies like Gladiator (collusem chariot scene) still looked bad.

When switching to progressive the jagged edges were completly gone - so it was clear that the progressive on the arcam was far better than the progressive on my Sim2 (which uses Faroudja DCDi). Since the progressive took over on the color, the picture looked a litter dimmer but more natural. The Sim2 is not the brightest projector out there anyway.

What supprised me was the excellant steering of the DD/DTS sound in movies. It seemed a big step up from my SD210E. The detail was much clearer and the surround effects seemed, well more surround.

For me I'm very happy because I not only get an excellant CD player (without having to buy 2 different units as space is a problem in my apartment) but the progressive scan is excellant. If I already had a good cd player I probably would have bought the Denon 2800mk2 as its 300 pounds cheaper.

Also, the interlaced is not that much better than my Toshiba SD210E so if your display can't take progressive and you already have an ok cd player I wouldn't upgrade it at all (at £120 vs £895 it wouldn't make sense). My next place I will project an 8 foot image and upgrade my yamaha 630 amp so I know the arcam will be even better then.

Also, please remember I'm certainly not an expert at reviewing dvd players - this is just my untrained opinion.

thanks

CaM

2. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad you posted this, as I'm not sure which DVD setup to buy - do I go all out and get an Arcam DV88+ with a good quality amp and speakers, or do I get a good but cheap DVD player (Toshiba 220E) with the same amp (probably denon 3803 for the audio delay feature - I couldn't stand lip sync problems) and speakers (probably Anthony Gallo micros - need to keep them unobtrusive).

I have a 4:3 CRT 29" Sony at the moment and will buy a plasma in about a year's time when I save up.

I won't be playing CD's through the DVD player, but will be connecting the amp to my computer for music playback.

What do you think I should do - Arcam or Toshiba? or should I get the Toshiba now and the Arcam when I buy the plasma?

Taimur

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Personally, buy the Toshiba SD-220.
    If you can stretch, buy the Philips DVD-963SA so you won't need an upgrade for your plasma ( or projector ;) ).

4. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My arcam DV88+ is an amazing DVD player - but unless you have a huge screen that allows progressive scan or want to use its excellant cd playing ability it seems like you would be wasting your money.

I would probably go for something like the cheap (but excellant) toshiba 220. The time you buy a plasma tv you will be able to get a dvd player like the denon 2800mk2 for about 300 pounds and so could buy a much better dvd player at the same time and put the old one in the bedroom as a cd player......

CaM

5. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is that because the video quality of the Philips is significantly better than the Toshiba's, to the extent that I'd notice it on a plasma in the future?

Taimur

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Toshiba is fine for now, but the Philips is better for bigger screens.
    If this upgrade isn't likely for a while, I would be happy with a Toshiba 220.
    Prices are still falling fast, but the 963 is fantastic value, you probably won't feel any need to change it when your big screen arrives.