1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD210

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nimravus, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Nimravus

Nimravus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After reading reviews etc.. I have decided to purchase a modified Toshiba SD210 player as a first DVD player. The only thing I'm worried about is that I'll be viewing discs on an old television which isn't NTSC compatible.<br />I would like to watch region 1 discs and I was wondering if anyone knew if the Toshiba converted the signal to PAL so as to be able to watch region 1 discs on a PAL television.<br />I have been told that certain players can do this such as the Wharfedale M5 and it would be important that the Toshiba is similar.<br />I'd be very grateful if anyone could advise me on this. <br />Many thanks.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one of these fantastic machines, but I'm affraid that it NOT output PAL when playing an NTSC disc. You will need a multi stanard TV or and NTSC-PAL converter.

Be warned though, as there are several types of PAL signal and these players will more than likely output PAL-60 from an NTSC disc, which may not be able to play on old TV's as they are PAL-50 only.

Sorry for the bad news! DVD's look much better on a Widescreen TV anyway, so why don't you treat yourself to a new Panny or SONY - only £450 from a good on-line dealer!

3. Nimravus

Nimravus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice Andrew. I think my best option is to go along with what you said and go for the widescreen TV too. It'll probably mean waiting for a bit but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the long run. Thanks again, appreciated.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    2 Options: a player with PAL50 output (Samsung comes to mind) or using RGB via Scart if DVD and TV support this. The latter option will allow to watch NTSC material in color on non-NTSC TVs.

5. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I've read, the Toshiba SD210 will not convert NTSC to PAL - whether it's PAL 50 or PAL 60. If you go to <a href="http://www.techtronics.com," target="_blank">www.techtronics.com,</a> they tell you exactly what the DVD player is capable of outputting. Sometimes, PAL 60 is only available through a mod, but I've yet to see such a mod for the new Toshiba players.

6. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, the table here will show you at a glance if NTSC can be output as PAL60: <a href="http://www.dvdmagic.net/mods/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.dvdmagic.net/mods/index.html</a>

7. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    As mentioned previously, if your TV supports RGB, then you can simply connect using that. It will then happily accept the NTSC source. I have a 210 and I know that outputs RGB.

I had the same problem with an old Toshiba TV, it wouldn't accept NTSC. RGB worked a treat.

cheers

Gavin