Toshiba SD210

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dgrobinson, Jun 4, 2001.

1. dgrobinson

dgrobinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my Toshiba SD210 from Techtronics on Saturday (for the second time, they sent it out first with no modification). I ordered it in black, which is a European model and comes with a French/German manual. Fortunately a pdf of the English manual is available on the Techtronics site. To clear up the "preliminary checks" issue, the player will play RCE disks (I have tried, The Patriot, The Hollow Man and Charlies Angels) but you must play a non-RCE R1 disk for a few seconds first. To be precise, once the player has been switched on and a non-RCE R1 disk has been played for a few seconds any R1 disk, RCE or not, will play. However, if the player is turned off or a disk from another region is played a non-RCE R1 disk must be played before an RCE disk will work.

Apart from the preliminary checks problem I am very happy with the SD210, although I am a Toshiba fan having had an imported US 2107 since January 1998. I had a Wharfedale 750s for a while when I managed to get one for £100 from Tesco as the 2107 doesn't output DTS but I wasn't happy with it.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DG
    I bought a silver 210 from Leading Edge concepts. Mine also came with a French/German manual, but LE have now sent me an English version. My Tosh also requires a R1 disk to be loaded prior to RCE R1 disks being played. However the old SD100E hack works if you don't want to load a R1 disk. Like you I am very happy with my 210, but can you tell me if you get any disk spinning noise on quiet DVD's when in paly mode and if so is this noisier on some than others. I get increased noise when loading or skipping tracks. Is this normal ?
    Regards
    Rob

3. Dave S

Dave S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Toshiba 210 has an audible spinning noise on some discs. It seems to be worse on loading and during the first few chapters of a film. Either that or I get used to it!
    The noise is much less annoying than on my old Wharfedale 750S and will not bother me at all when I get my new glass fronted cabinet (provided the IR remote operates through the glass!)
    Great player for the price!

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave
    I agree certainly not as noisy as some Pioneers i've heard.
    210 seems to be a steal at the price. So far mine has played anything i've trown into it, including MP3's and a dubious Hong Kong copy of Hidden Gragon Crouching Tiger
    Regards
    Rob