1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD210

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RAC, Apr 9, 2001.

1. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have any information about when the Toshiba replacement for the SD200E is coming out? I believe it will be called the SD210 and will have MP3 playback - does anyone have any other info on features/ spec, or how it will compare to the 200? I've heard very good things about the SD200E but I'm slightly put off by it's reputation as being one of the more difficult machines to use in avoiding RCE. Any views please...

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  3. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Reiner - very helpful. I know there is a model replacement for the SD100 as well (the SD110). I had been interested in buying an RCE chipped version of the SD200 and noticed that some resellers had stopped stocking them, and I remembered that someone had mentioned the possibility of an SD210 coming out. Has anyone seen any of these at the retailers yet? Anymore web links that mention it? Thanks. :)

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to Toshiba customer service who said late April for the 110E and a couple of months later for the 210E. Both machines will be Nuon equipped and allegedly have better picture quality than the outgoing 100 and 200 models. Given that the 100 and 200 didn't exhibit any improved picture over the 2109 and 3109 I'm a little sceptical about this claim. The reason I've done some research into this is that as far as I can tell, the pictures from the budget Toshiba models are outstanding (lab results and testimony from some of the more experienced users/installers on this BB) and now that the models are on run-out, they can be picked up fairly cheaply. What bugs me about the incoming models is paying for features I won't need (Nuon) whilst not seeing any picture or sound improvement in a 4th/5th generation player. In addition, Toshiba have had some firmare issues on the new machines in the US (see audioreview.com site and look up the SD2300 which is the US equivalent of the 110E) and yet Toshiba UK are completely unaware of these problems.

hmmm.

5. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the SD210 is only a single tray player.

This is why I recently bought the 200, and I'm very happy with it - excellent quality and I've yet to notice any layer change delay!

6. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, they are going to leave the 500 series for the Double Tray, which will also have DVD Audio compatability. The Toshiba 510 should be out in June and is suppose to be a Higher End Player. Hopefully almost as good as the current 900E. I wish i had one of those!

7. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the things that triggered me into checking out the SD210 is that I found a website that is selling them (on 21 days delivery) for just £173 inc VAT. I thought this was an incredible offer (and quite possibly a mistake), but it seems to be the equivalent of about £220 on that German website too. Does anyone know if Tosh are dropping the prices dramatically?

There's a picture on that other site and it certainly looks to be single tray, but it does say the player is due for release towards the end of April, and not June. I've sent an email to Toshiba DVD division to ask some Q's, but they haven't replied in two days.... ;)

8. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Toshiba 210E is out in April. I was talking about the 510E, which i heard is out in June!

9. dwsadler1

dwsadler1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally posted by RAC:
    [QB]One of the things that triggered me into checking out the SD210 is that I found a website that is selling them (on 21 days delivery) for just £173 inc VAT.

What was that website address??? :eek:

10. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I know, :eek: £173

Was it a mistake, or is it a bargain? Here's the site: www.qed-uk.com

Happy hunting. :D

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for that : )
    No mention of the Nuon chip though..any one got confimation of this please?

13. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Dave S

Dave S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is NUON?
    What does it do?

Sorry if this is a stupid question

15. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  16. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Crikey, looks like I will have to stick with the Sammy 807 for a bit longer and go for a Nuon (even though the Sammy let me down yet again tonight - on the layer change in Billy Elliot).

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How come the 210e is cheaper than the 100e on techtronics? I thought it was superior to the both the 100e and 200e (with the 200e costing over a £100 more just a month ago). If anyone knows why this is, or if the new player is better than its predecessor, id appreciate a reply. Thanks.

18. Dave S

Dave S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will the new Toshiba 210e have the 540 horizontal lines resolution? This is not stated on the Toshiba website.

The website says it also decodes DVD-A!

At this price! How?!

19. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All new Toshiba's have 540 line resolution. Its a standard thing that Toshiba do now, thats why they never state it as a special feature anymore. Its sort of like saying Toshiba DVD with DOLBY DIGITAL sound! If you know what i mean.

I am personally waiting for the Toshiba 510E which is suppose be pretty damm good :)

20. Dave S

Dave S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much is the Toshiba 510e likely to cost?
    I might also be tempted to wait!

21. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have just pre ordered the SD210e from Techtronics with the multimod plus for a pre order price of £210.33. Quite good considering last week they were stating it as £280.

This mod offers multi region and macrovision disabled.

Neil

22. dwsadler1

dwsadler1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would whoever is first to receive their new Toshiba 210e please let us know their early impressions.
    And be prepared to be bombarded with queries!

23. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Techtronics have received their stock today.Expect to receive one late next week.

24. shaun

shaun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well its over 2 weeks since the last post on this thread and no-ones put up any kind of a review yet :(

never mind mine comes tommorrow so expect a summary by sunday at somepoint :D ;) :D :rolleyes: :p

Shaun

25. nickoff

nickoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba release the DVD 500 in Oz a few months ago - DVD audio player. It retails for $1499 Aust. dollars.

They have also released the 1250, which is a replacement for the 1200 = 100E UK model. The 1250 looks the same as the 1200 (100E) except it plays CDR etc and comes in a gold colour. This is their budget player in Australia and retails for around $650 oz.

26. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a quick warning to those who are buying a 210E. It will not play RCE titles straght off. You will have to do the swap method of putting a non rce region 1 disc in first then putting in your RCE title.

Just thought i'd let you know.

27. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Techtronics mod allows RCE titles to play with no intervention. They are selling for 210 pounds for the silver multimod plus version.

28. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nope!!!

See!

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered from Techtronics also on April 25. Still no sign of it being dispatched yet. I'm starting to think they're having problems with the RCE mods. The page origionally said it needed no extra tricks for RCE disks, but has now changed to "May need preliminary checks". To be honest I'm thinking of cancelling, as when I ordered it the Toshiba web site stated it was DVD-A compatible, but this has now disappeared from their site as well.

30. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you phoned them to ask about this?