Toshiba SD100E or Pioneer DV-535

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Andrew Stratton, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Andrew Stratton

Andrew Stratton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering both of the above machines to replace a Wharfedale 750. Both seem to be good value, multi-region, from people like techtronics and multiregion-magic.

Reviews suggest better picture quality from the Toshiba but so far no permanent solution to the RCE problem.

Can anyone give me the benefit of first hand experiences with these players and also opinions on either techtronics or multiregion-magic (service, reliability etc)

Thanks,

Andy

2. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,

I am also consdering the same machines.
    And i am going to buy the Pioneer 535 even though it's nearly 1,5 times more expensive than the Tosh.

The Tosh is great...BUT RCE discs can only be played by using a trick.
    Why a lot of people prefer the pioneer is due to the fact that it ALSO plays CDR.
    The Tosh doesn't.

And i am not sure i have it right but a lot of sellers say that the 525 and 626 are basically the SAME machine(same picture/sound quality) except the 626 has a decoder onboard.
    And that goes for the 535/636.

I am not sure this is true...and i am curious if someone clear it up?

3. DaBuzz

DaBuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Advice is WAIT! The Toshiba is a far better player in terms of both Picture and Sound. Techtronics say that they have almost got a Tosh RCE solution sorted! So i'd say wait!

The Toshiba's are the BEST players on the market. I wouldent consider anything else! Even though i currently do own a Pioneer 626D, which i thought was fantasitc until i saw my Dad's Toshiba 100E. The picture & Sound beat my Pioneer by miles.

I really really want the Toshiba 900E, but at £900 being the cheapest i can get it, they can keep the thing. Wait for a while, i am sure your current player will be ok for now. The longer you wait, the better player you can have. I know it sounds stupid to wait forever, but at least a couple of months!

12-Bit Video DAC's are not too far away, and these will improve the picture even further. And along with Tosh's 540 Lines Res, you'll be looking at a stunning Picture.

WAIT!

[This message has been edited by DaBuzz (edited 30-01-2001).]

4. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I have a Tosh 100 and can recommend it very highly - great picture and sound. When I bought mine, the only player that bettered it visually and sonically was the Sony 735. However, as the differences were so small I really couldn't justify spending an extra £300!

Yes the RCE is a pain but you can work around it. Also, it DOES play CDR's. I know that Toshiba don't advertise the fact but mine plays them no problem.

On the negative side It does lack many of the features other players offer and the sound quality when playing CD's isn't that great (this wasn't a consideration for me as I had a dedicated Rotel 991 player already).

Go and compare the 2 players and if you can also compare them against the Sony 735. I think you'll find you'll go for the Toshiba....

5. ROGER B

ROGER B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a tosh sd200, picture and sound are the same as the 100 but it also plays CDR and has a few other tricks too. you can get one for around £300 multi region. its awesome

6. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I enquired about the difference between the 535/636 the chap told me that it wasn't just the onboard decoder that was the difference. The sound and picture quality was slightly better on the 636. This is also implied on reviews between the 525 and 526. However, I still went for the 535 and although a bit noisy I'm pleased with it.

7. Stick

Stick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried both the 535 & the SD100E. Having lived with each for about 4 weeks and tried a wide selection of discs, R's 1&2.
    The Pioneer should have cost me around £250 (multi-region) at Richer Sounds, but as I'd seen it locally for £197 they agreed to price beat at £180.
    Anyhow as soon as I'd got the player unpacked it was horribly apparent that money had been saved when they built it!!. It had a very cheap and nasty feel to it, and it was very very noisy when the disc draw opened or closed. I also thought the display looked cheap and pressing the buttons on the front created a strange 'echoey' sound.
    Oh, and the remote was equally bad being horribly laid out with small buttons and boringly 'rectangular'. In fairness it did have alot of features and was powerful with DD/DTS sountracks, although lousy as a CD player. Stereo being produced in narrow and harsh manner. I also found the picture not to my taste, it had a blueish tinge about it and the colour not that striking to me.
    The worst thing was that this player had a fault. When I selected S-vhs output, the picture would just flick between colour black & white or no picture at all!. Making various adjustments on both the player & tv did not cure anything, in fact the longer it was left the faster it flicked!. In any case Richers gave me a refund as they did not have any different players at the time.

I then managed to find the Toshiba SD100e at my local branch of Hughes, (again multi-region and for only £189!!). Upacking this player it was immediateley obvious that this was a much higher quality machine. It has pretty much all the features of the Pioneer, (although no cdr replay).
    Apart from the remote,( which is hideously light with buttons that are too small, and generally to cluttered!-remeniscant of wharfedale) the whole operation/functions of the player put the Pioneer to shame. The DD/DTS playback on this player is much more open and articulate, (and whilst it is still only an average cd player, it is musical than the Pioneer).
    The pictures have a very cinematic feel to them with a very vivid colour reproduction, ( not unlike the Sony players!). One really handy feature is the ability to turn off the display. I am aware of the immediate drawback of this player concerning RCE discs, (the Pioneer having A selectable region code whereas the Toshiba is all auto). But in the box was a leaflet stating that a chip could be fitted to the player for £50 in the near future, and to contact the retailer for details. ( I understand General Skanky works for Hughes, do you know if this is about yet??).

I'm sorry if this upsets die hard Pioneer fans, but in my own opinion Pioneer has produced a player that feels like a cheap chinese effort, whereas in the past their products have led the field( i rather liked ther first players, and ironically i never liked much of the Toshiba range!!).

But I would say buy the Toshiba, you wont regret it. See if you can try them both and then you can judge for yourself, but as i have said Pioneer have been better.

Hope this helps!!

Stick.

8. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

are you sure? I knew that the pioneer's built is really dissappointing.
    But i read alot of tests and the Pioneer 535/525 always came out on top over the Tosh.

The picture of the Tosh was great,but the CD replay of the pioneer was better.
    And the Tosh ISN'T able to play CDR.
    Does it have a RGB capable scart like the 535?

So is there anyone here who thinks that the Pioneer is a better buy?

9. Stick

Stick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all!,
    tan,
    I too read all the reviews for the Pioneer, (which is why I got one!) but as i said it was such a disappointment once I'd tried it. I was very lucky in being able to try both and because of this I found that the proof of the pudding etc, etc.
    The Tosh does do RGB through the scart, again very nicely as well!! :). But although some say that they will play cdr's, I've not been able to test it myself.
    I really think that the Tosh is far superior to the Pioneer. get one before they're all gone!!!

10. bawheid

bawheid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Reviews eh? Where would we be without them.
    Seriously though DaBuzz and the others are spot on when they say audition if possible.
    I bought an Encore DV450 on the strength of
    an award review(it was also a deal with my sons Dreamcast). It was utter pants! Backgrounds were a seething mass of artefact.
    This may have been a faulty batch but I was not willing to wait on another player.
    SO I auditioned the Toshiba SD100 and 200.
    I went for the 100 as I already have a decent Marantz cd player.
    The Tosh has bowled me over with it's picture quality and I've learned a lesson about taking reviews at face value.
    I'm sure the staff at HCC would agree, even though their reviews are highly respected, you are the only real judge of what suits your tastes.

11. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Ba'Heid:A review is still an opinion of a person.
    But it helps that you know the opinions of a "profesional".It helps you with choosing.
    But in the end you're still the one who makes the choice.

To others...you almost have me convinced.
    Only thing is that the Tosh CAN'T play RCE.
    Right now there's not that many DVDs.But RCE is made by Sony...and I believe we can expect all new released DVDs by Sony owned companys will use RCE(Hollowman,Patriot) and we can only hope that the other producers(warner,dreamworks etc) do not use it too. I am looking for a multiregion player because i want to see/buy the region 1 discs.

Anyway according to multiregion magic they have found a way to bypass the RCE.
    Does it work? I mean according to them you will be able to see the movie,because RCE works only in 1st chapter. But does it mean that you can still use the other extras?
    Can someone check it out for me?

And lastly...does the Sd100e plays CDR or not?!? According to reviews/salespersons it doesn't.

Thanks again,

DT

12. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    My Tosh 100 plays CDR's no problem (see earlier post) but I agree that it's not 'supposed' to.

The only way to put your mind at rest will be to take a CDR into the shop you are considering purchasing from and see if it'll play. I can't believe that mine is a 'one off' but you never know.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think your Tosh is a one off, its more to do with which CDR media you use.
    Certain dyes are easier for the DVD laser to pick up, so you may find that TDK works but BASF doesn't ETC.

14. ash2

ash2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi can any one tell me if there is a remote control hack for the toshiba 100e

15. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    It's a 'chipper'

------------------
    K'ung Fu-tse

The poster formerly known as PeteH, who is awaiting an apology from a certain individual....

Stuff up for auction on E-Bay

16. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a remote hack for the RCE on the Tosh sd100e.
    It bypasses the Rce for the movie but it doesn't work with the Menus and special features.

17. Stick

Stick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got the details for the remote hack please?

Cheers

18. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can check it out on the Multiregionmagic website.

It works.

Does anyone have experience with the Marantz DVD players? The 4100 model.