1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD W2002 DVD-RAM

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nathan Brazil, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A slight hitch in the master plan. Having bought the Toshiba RDXS32B, I thought I'd get a Toshiba SD W2002 DVD-RAM Internal EIDE for my PC, and use it to view/ move RAM contents.

The only problem is, the drive I bought is OEM. No firmware or drivers. After a fruitless half hour tooling around Google, seeking the right files, I thought I'd try here. Can any knowledgeable soul please point me to the relevant drivers/ firmware?

Any other comments from those who already have this internal drive would also be useful. :smashin:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Have you tried reading a DVD-RAM in the machine yet? If you're using Windows XP and have the latest Service Pack you shouldn't actually need any drivers. If your using a different OS then have a look at Panasonic's Driver Download page. If you're using XP but something has caused you to require the DVD-RAM driver then have a look here for the DVD-RAM utilities (that generally work with all drives not just the ones listed). Or finally you can obtain drivers from Kenny's Site.

3. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No, I haven't actually received the internal DVD-RAM, as yet. Should turn up in a couple of days. I'm using Windows 2000 with SP4, and have the UDF driver installed. Thanks for the URLs, but there doesn't appear to be anything specifically for this model. Hopefully, as you suggest, it won't be needed.

FWIW, the reason I went for the Toshiba SD W2002, was that I'd been reading here and elsewhere about problems caused merely by reading DVD-RAM disks in the more recent LG burner. So I thought that going from a Tosh to a Tosh would be better. Time will tell, and I'll post the results here for anyone interested.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Don't worry about getting something for your individual drive - the Panasonic DVD-RAM drivers are universal and is precisely what is supplied regardless of which drive you buy.

Yes this may well be sensible. I am using DVD-RAMs without problem in my LG4120 and LG4163 but they are the 'older' Panasonic 2x (and a few 2x-3x) discs. I believe the problem occurs when the new 2x-3x discs with CPRM are used. The answer seems to be use a DVD-ROM or DVD-RW with RAM read only - just like your Toshiba.

5. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For anyone of a similar mind, it might help to clarrify that the Toshiba SD W2002 does also write DVD-RAM at X2, and DVD-R, but no -RW. The units seem to be a bit thin on the ground, but there's currently a few up on e-bay. I ordered mine from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/justdeals-uk

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Apologies - didn't realise Toshiba made RAM capable writers anymore (all the drives from the Toshiba-Samsung partnership have RAM read but not write). Must be one of their old models?

It'll be interesting to see if Toshiba-Samsung keep to this - Pioneer, NEC, Liteon and BenQ have now all add DVD-RAM read/write to their upcoming drives - this would make TS the only major supplier without RAM writing. Surprising as they (partially) invented the format!

7. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, I think so, judging by the 2002 disgnation. Around that time, as far as I can make out, most of the RAM drives were SCSI. But this model is IDE, so it won't need a card. My use for it will be purely to read the RAM disks hot from my RDXS32, without corrupting them, and on the odd occasion do some last minute editing.

Indeed. If and when they do make a new model available, I'll be in the queue. In the mean time, the SD W2002 would appear to be the only read/write model that is virtually guranteed to be safe. If, you can track one down. At least they're cheap, when you do. :)