Toshiba SD-V592 or Momitsu V880

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rahabib, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Rahabib

Rahabib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need some help determining what DVD player to go for.

Which will have the better picture quality? I have an Sony Wega HD-TV with DVI input. However, from what I have heard the HDMI to DVI conversion still retains all digital information (no picture quality loss).

I have read many great reviews on the Momitsu but have heard basically nothing on the Toshiba. My wife likes the idea of the VHS built in, but my major concern is the quality of the picture. Yet if there are any other pitfalls to either model Id like to know so I can make a good decision.

Thanks for your help.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi :hiya:

In fact HDMI to DVI conversion can in theory degrade PQ since HDMI can be 8, 10 or 12-bit data while DVI is 8-bit.

That said, there aren't may HMDI-equipped sources so the point it kind of moot right now. :)

3. Rahabib

Rahabib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well the Toshiba SD-V598 is HDMI while the Momitsu V880 is DVI. would I get a better picture with the DVI? I figured it wouldnt matter. My TV is DVI only (well and the usual analog sources but I want to go digital).

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    I thought the main difference between DVI and HDMI, is that HDMI carries a picture signal as well as audio and DVI is picture only. So in theory there should be no difference.

Also the DVi to HDMI adapter does no conversion work, it just alows the two connections to connect. :)

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DVI->HDMI is not the problem with what I was describing, but since your display is DVI I was being pedantic that feeding it HDMI could be subject to colour accuracy loss.

HDMI is indeed video + audio, but the specs for the video signals allow for higher bit depths than DVI does.

One other vital difference, just to be pedantic again :), is that HDMI is inherently protected with HDCP so you can't connect an HDMI source into a DVI receiver if that receiver doesn't implement HDCP .. this is a problem with many projectors and plasmas which are 2003 vintage or earlier, as many are now finding when they're thinking of Sky's recent announcement of HiDef services next year.

6. Rahabib

Rahabib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for answering my questions thus far.

so whats the picture quality on the Toshiba then? has anyone tried it or viewed it?

How does it compare with the Momitsu v880?