Toshiba SD-9500 Questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Trevor spencer, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi

just wondering can this machine do PAL prog scan also do these play RCE discs as standard

also i currently own a TH42PWD7 plasma , would this sort of player do my screen justice ?

Thanks

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    If it ias 'hacked' then it is possible for both but all down to how it has been made multi region. I use mine R2 and PS.

3. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    cool thanks , how much did yours cost and are you pleased with it , i was also considering a Denon 2800 mk2

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    £299 and I am very pleased with it, it is a great player. Much better than the denon.

5. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok cheers :) how long ago did you buy it? also where did you buy it ?

ta

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Bought it from Toshiba direct last Christmas

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    You'll need a MR one to do RCE discs Id imagine. A few of us like Nic mentions above got R2 versions with PAL PS V2.7 software direct from Toshiba @ xmas (xmas being the operative word here), ie there "end of line stock" sold direct with 1 year warranties.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56705

they are still for sale in MR format from LEConcepts for £699 (Still a bargain IMHO) but second hand R2 ones go for £300 - 400 due to the toshiba "sell off" price.

8. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    so would this player be good with my plasma ? or am i better off getting a newer model ?

9. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Trevor, Not sure if your display has a HDMI or DVI connection ? : If I were in your shoes and hooking up to your Pannys components inputs though, would I get a newer newer player ?

Not al all.

The Toshiba is a superlative video device in PAL PS / component mode. Added to that is that it’s a stunning audio device, for all the discs that it spins. Designed and built without comprimise to sell @ £2000, now available for £300 R2 – 700 MR.

Nic above is one of the best guys here to read about the differing types of pic quality from HDMI/DVI/Component, do a search on his views above. Disregard what he has to say audio wise thought for he is clearly a lunatic.

10. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    well i deffinitly would like a SD-9500 but i dont think i can stretch to £700 at the mo :(

i might be able to afford a Denon 2800 MK2 tho , so you think ill be better off get an older high end player , ive just picked up a samsung HD950 for the HDMI connection but am seriously thinking of selling it to own one of these older players

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I think there has been some incompatibility issues between the Tosh SD900/9500 and the Panasonic panels ? I'm not entirely sure but you may need to trrawl the Plasma forum for more info.

I run a SD900/9500 into a Viera PE30 and a PV500 through YUV. The result is on a par with a 868 through HDMI as far as my eyes can tell. The Toshiba's weren't just good players, they were far ahead of their time. Absolute bomb proof build quality throughout. When it comes to the Shiny Pearly Gates of AV Heaven, these 2 Tosh's certainly deserve their place there.

12. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I may be selling my 9500 in the near future, it is a PS R2 model and was bought at xmas when tosh were clearing them.

Not an offer for sale but keep your eyes on the classifieds.

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Lunatic, why are suddenly being so kind to me ;) Never thought we differed so much on the 9500 :)

14. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Thats a great compliment in my book Nic. We dont differ on the SD-9500 audio wise dude. Its making me re-evaluate my views on Audio from a DVD based device.

15. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    Just purchased a SD-9500 from tamthetim, looking forward to it arriving and testing it with componant via my Barco 708 CRT pj, I have mainly R2 dvd's but I am willing to join the 9500 posse in search of mr. I have only ever used a budget Toshiba SD340 DVD as my source so I am looking forward to(hopefully)a treat.

16. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ufitsy how much did it cost you ?

17. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    Trevor, I'm sure tamthetim wouldn't mind me saying that it was £310 which included insured p+p and a vdm componant cable, I thought this a fair price for both of us - although I would have loved to have got a brand new one at chrimbo when they were going for £300.

18. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I wouldn't worry, buying now or at Crimbo makes little difference on a machine that will probably outlive anything on your AV rack and then some. It's bombproof :eek:

19. AlecF

AlecF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The SD-9500 uses the highly-regarded Zoran Vadis 5 video decoder; this is still used in Arcam's flagship FMJ DV29.

Re: audio, it uses Analog Devices' AD1896 ASRC and multiple AD1955 DACs, with the DIR1701 digital receiver from TI, these are all good quality; extremely decent for a midrange box.

However, I have to disagree with CJROSS on the actual quality of the (stereo) analogue output - I find it bad, bad, bad! The main reason is the cheapo, bottom-of-the-barrel opamp-based analogue section - it's full of the "it-measures-well but sounds-like-total-dogsh*t" NE5532s :thumbsdow that Musical Fidelity are so fond of charging people for in their "£1,000" wonder-boxes from China. :mad:

These jellybean chips are the audio equivalent of a mass-murderer; they are responsible for massacring more pieces of hi-fi equipment than anything in history
    Universal law - nothing sounds good with the NE5532 inside!

Loads of cheap voltage regs, too, and low quality RCA sockets don't help, either.

As a transport, it seems OK, but unfortunately, it's just got cheap crystal clocks, which could also do with replacement.

I wonder how it would sound if modded. The drive mechanism is fantastic, as is the chassis construction.

20. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    AxelF

Sorry if i'm being a numpty here, but is the sound still bad (in stereo) via the digital coax? and when you say "bad, bad, bad" can you quantify that? ie you could buy a CD player for £99(or less) that would sound better, how bad is bad. BTW don't dissapoint me too much as one of these is on its way from Perth as we speak.

21. AlecF

AlecF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ufitsy, well I've still not made my mind up about the unit as a transport. It's currently feeding a Bel Canto DAC2 with good results. But I strongly suspect it could do more; I've got to open it up and have a look at the S/PDIF circuit.

When I said "Bad, bad, bad", I meant the sound quality through the single-ended RCA outputs playing redbook CDs, and what I am talking about is how much I hate the NE5532 opamps which define the sound quality. Many, many people hate this chip, though I have to admit some people think it's fine. The things I intensely dislike about this chip's sound signature: typical digitalitus fingerprint - thin midband, screechy treble, over-wide, unnatural left-right soundstage, vocals and strings just don't sound very pure. To me. :( Got to swap those out for something more refined. It's very disappointing, as all the other main components on the player are actually quite good.

Don't be disappointed yet! Trust your own ears and see how it fits your system.

22. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    im still looking into buying one of these players or maybe a sd-900 the thing is ive emailed LE concepts but they havnt replyed so i was wondering if anyone can anwser these questions ?

on the LE webpage

http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd/toshdvd.htm#sd9500

it mentions that the player is multi-region but dosnt mention anything about RCE discs , so can this player play RCEs ? £700 seems alot of cash if it dosnt play all my discs :(

also they have a SD900 for sale which looks nice ,plays RCEs and is a bit cheaper but ive read somewhere that this player cant do PAL prog scan but on LE site its says there mod can do Psuedo PAL PS , what excatly is psuedo Prog scan ?

23. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Simply put it is a bad thing ,and imho, pretty much the only chink in what is a great great player. The 900 will always be a classic performer in the SD dvd era, imho. Only now when we reach the end of SD dvd development are better reasonably priced players reaching the masses. If you can live with 480p only, these can be picked up for £200! Given the choice between one of these and the current crop of Samsung's/Pioneer 575 i would buy the Tosh in a heartbeat and KNOW i had made the right decision.

24. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1929794&postcount=22

Just to cross ref this thread with where the quote above came from. May be of interest.

25. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The stereo sound via the coax is very good, not as good as the meridian 507 I have just sold but it would be as good as a £500 cd player let alone a £99 one IMHO of course. It only looses out to the meridian in that it looses some of the excitment of the music and some punch, but remember the meridian is a £1200 dedicated cd player.

26. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Oh and hang on before thinking about £700 on a player becasue as soon as I can find a Tag DVDFLR I will be letting my 9500 go......

27. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hey Ufitsy don’t sweat it dude your not being a numpty.

You will see loads of differing opinion about kit, what matters to you is how it sounds in your system, your room, to your preferences musically and as an “audiophile”. I can quantify what I hear from this machine in both RCA & XLR terms (I currently use it 6m away from my amp via XLRs) it is easily comparable to a TAG DAC 20, a highly respected DAC that is comparable to many £1000+ CDPs of today.

Anyway just to round off Ufitsy, I think this device is a superlative audio device for CD, HDCD, DVD-V in both stereo & 5.1 “downmixing” and as a bonus it has DVD-A up to 96 or 192 Khz in stereo mode, the 5.1 dudes can tell you what it sounds like for 5.1 mixes but as a stereo device via its RCA & XLRs its quite frankly a bargain @ £700 for Audio alone, never mind what you paid for it (there was a dude on another forum about to snap up the machine you bought FWIW – so don’t have buyers remorse).

That’s even before we talk of its stunning anlg component video performance.

Cheapskate there seems to be a bit of confusion in the posts above are you guys saying it sounds bad via its “coaxial” outputs – ie as a CD transport or via its RCA anlg outputs ? Its sounds perfectly acceptable in both uses to my ears.

28. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +364
    GOOD NEWS !

Multi-region.co.uk CAN do the MR mod - for about 60 + Insurance (I'm paying about 16 pounds for 700 pounds postal insurance).

IT does not effect the firmware - its a hack somewhere else - just like on the Pioneers.

So 2.7 and Multi-region :) Already booked mine in.

Regarding Alec-Fs comment on Analogue out for CD playback (agree with the rest of your post Alec) - I find it just fine - I've compared it with CD players in the 300 ish price bracket (Arcam CD-62T, NAD 541i) - and find it on par at least with them (with upsampling turned on)

Mark.

29. AlecF

AlecF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news on the MR mod. Guys, don't hate me, I'm just extremely critical of most digital sources...nothing to do with comparing to this or that player at this or that price....my problem is about faithfulness to the real thing, you know, instruments and musicians! That's the only test that matters.

Let's face it, most CDs are badly recorded, and most CDPs and DACs are just bad, bad, bad. Can I get an Amen? :)

30. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    cool :clap: will that play RCEs aswell ? come on cheapskate hurry up and sell me yours (if its the right price of corse :D ) the moneys burning a hole in my pocket :D