Toshiba SD-9500 for £1,095

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chips, Nov 30, 2002.

1. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  2. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    But, will it have true PAL progressive like the £1700 one that Leading Edge sell? If so, this could be the machine for me! (assuming it produces a better picture and sound than the much cheaper and similarly specced Philips 963?)

3. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    When I bought mine from LE, it was not PAL Progressive as Toshiba had not released the firmware at that time, but Toshiba came to my house and upgraded it FOC.

Tell them you want the "luminance filter fix" to correct the problem reported by What Video & TV and PAL Progressive comes on the upgrade disk.:D

4. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just a word of warning, if the machine is a grey import, Toshiba UK might not support it. If this is the case, you may not get the upgrade to PAL Progressive.

When the Toshiba UK engineer came to upgrade my machine, he checked two or three numbers in the service menu and said “that’s OK”. I’m not sure what he was looking for but it could have been grey imports.

I have no reason to suspect that these machines are grey imports, but the price is MUCH lower than anywhere else.

Mind you if it is a late model, it may already have the PAL Progressive firmware, worth investigating.

5. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Chips,

If it has the PAL progressive firmware already on board, can one do the upgrade self? If so, where can one get the software.
    Reason for asking: If I buy a SD-9500 in England, it will be deliverd to my country (Holland), where Toshiba will not upgrade it.
    (I do know a bit of this machine, because I already own a SD-900E.)

Thanks,
    Jürgen

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    They appear to be £499.99 including VAT on the Toshiba UK website.

7. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks a heap, tons of fun. There goes my christmas :)

And the g/f won't be at all happy with the black player, either!

edit: support email from Toshiba confirms that it comes with the latest firmware. Not entirely sure if that's pal progressive, but that would be the implication.

What about multi region? How does you get that?

8. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Order cancelled, and christmas is saved.

Cancelled due to the lack of PAL progressive from the box (according to tosh) and the seeming impossibility of getting a third party MR mod. Still, there could be some nice second hand ones cheap after this?

9. Winnie

Winnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You can buy the Tosh SD9500e from MKA Televisions in Gt Yarmouth for £499 + £10 delivery. They also advertise these at that price on a Buy-It Now on eBay.
    They come will a full 12 month warranty (extendable with Tosh) and the ad says they are Region 2 and NTSC progressive only.

Im sure you could get the relevant upgrades done and come out smiling :)

10. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    This is the same one as on the Tosh website at 499 with free delivery.

Where could I get these upgrades done, for how much, etc.?

I couldn't find anyone (admittedly, I didn't look all that hard) willing to do a third party mod. LEConcepts laughed at me. Their 9500 pal/NTSC prog and MR is £700, so I suppose they don't want to lose that market.

11. kasumi

kasumi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  12. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If LE Concepts sells you a 9500 which is PAL AND NTSC progressive and MR for 700 Pounds, I would say: seems to me a nice price.

And you would have a guarantee from LE Concepts for the player.

Jürgen

13. kasumi

kasumi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The other thing with this player is, despite being 'state of the art' a good while ago it's video performance, especially with progressive, can easily be bettered by a £100+ player...just the way things go I'm afraid.

Check here for instance > http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

It fails virtually all the progressive tests!

14. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I had a look there, but couldn't find resultats for the SD-9500.
    Anyway the SD-9500 is elsewhere highly praised. Just recently he was tested in Germany, where Toshiba delivers him with PAL progressive. The results of the test are as praisingly as they have been for the SD-900E several years ago. It states among other things that video-section is of outstanding quality, but let me quote the conclusion:
    Pro:
    Bislang bestes YUV Progressive Bild überhaupt = Up to now best YUV progressive picture
    Höchstmögliche Interlaced-Signalqualität = best quality Interlaced
    CD-Klang auf audiophilem Referenzniveau = CD-sound in audiofile referencelevel
    Superbe DVD-Audio-Wiedergabe = superberb DVD-Audio reproduction
    Perfekte, extrem hochwertige Verarbeitung = perfect, extrem high construction
    Höchst aufwändiger Aufbau mit drei Video-DACs = highly construction with 3 video-dacs

Contra:
    Keine digitalen Highspeed-Interfaces = no digital highspeed interface
    Kein Bassmanagement für DVD-Audio-Betrieb = no bassmanagement in DVD-Audio

The adres of the review: http://www.areadvd.de/index.html

Jürgen

15. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    There is one on ebay right now.

16. kasumi

kasumi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  17. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I attended a home cinema show a few sundays ago at Novotel hammersmith and attendants were being offered the sd-9500 toshiba dvd player for £299.00. brand new by toshiba themselves.

The only catch is that they had black fascia!! £1095 for a dvd player of yesteryears is absolute daylight robbery!!

18. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes, perhaps now it is, but I started this thread over two years ago in November 2002 when it was a brilliant price ;). It's still a great machine though, built like a tank and has never missed a beat. The progressive scan, both PAL & NTSC, beats the Faroudja in my Sim2 HT300 hands down on most material.

The upgrade was installed by a Toshiba engineer from a CD. It took about two minutes. I don't think it's possible to get hold of the CD though.

No, that's the US equivalent of the SD-900E. The SD-9500 was never released in The States.

19. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Guys can we confirm here that the £499 SD9500 Toshiba are selling is not PAL Progressive via its component output ? And why not ? Are the Components Outputs BNC or not on the Toshiba Website ? The Connection picture looks like RCA. Leconcepts list them as BNC in their £699 MR machine FWIW.

Those XLR Anlg connections / PAL Prog are might tempting hence all the interest.

20. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Tosh helpdesk guys told me it was neither multi-region, nor PAL progressive. In one of the earlier posts someone said that there is a firmware update that makes it PAL progressive, and if this was included with the player, then at £500 it might be worthwhile. £300 for this player (somewhere else on the thread) would be a steal.

I believe (having read a few reviews) that the connections are BNC.

21. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Kuma - black fascia is the main reason Im considering it, how can we wangle a £299 deal from Toshiba then ? If there offering it "on the ground" at that rate ?

Jasper cheers - BTW Guys what is the digital input connections all about ? does this beast act as DAC ? or is it for AV Decoding from its onboard decoders ?

22. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Dudes just spoke to Toshiba Helpdesk and the £499 SD9500 they are offering is

Is Not PAL Progressive
    Cannot be upgraded via CD/disc to PAL Progressive
    Not MR

In other words “as much use as a fart in a spacesuit”

£499 seems a little rich in that respect when as mentioned earlier you can pick up a MR PAL Prog machine these days like the Marantz 6500 that also offers SACD/DVDA/DVD-V for £339 from Avland.

Drats

23. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    In the Netherlands Toshiba has the SD-9500 which they had, made PAL progressive, but it's still a region 2 player. This version of the player you can buy in the Netherlands at an effective price of +- 1.000,- Pounds. And the player in this version has been reviewed. Part of the review I have posted before.

Jürgen

24. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Guys I noticed this about the SD-9500 the other day when looking at the back panel this lovely machine can act as a DAC when fed a PCM feed from an offboard device, its rear panel shows 2 digital inputs in the I/O digital audio panel, both a Toslink & Coaxial input. Here is the bumph about using the SD-9500 as a DAC from the on-line manual. BTW If this delves down to £299 I would be tempted to buy it without Prog Scan & the MR mod. So you feed this device a signal from your Freeview box/PC/MD and listen to the anlg outputs.

On a visual sidetrack here :

1) whats the quality of non-PS component video then on a par with RGB Scart but with better anlg connectors ? Have I got that right ?

2) If you bought one of these Non-PS versions how easy would it be to upgrade it via a mod company to Prog scan (can this be done) and MR.

25. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Bought one for £299 today direct from Toshiba sounds like there are only 9 left : A bargain for the audio spec of the device can live with normal component output I reckon being quite happy with RGB scart at present :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172295

26. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    £299 is a complete giveaway for the SD9500 even without MR, PAL Prog

If my memory serves me correctly, it has pretty impressive Digital output readings, with very low jitter figures, which might be of interest to CJ.

Adz.

27. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    170 spec Spligsey to be precise, but being honest I don’t think jitter into proper reclocking DACs is much of a problem (to me), Ive done a few experiments with differerent transports into my TAG, and I cant tell the difference between a £500 Pio 717, £90 Sony 355, £60 M-Audio Transit 24/96 SC off my PC. You may be interested in a chat had about jitter (and human ability to detect levels of jitter) here :

http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13633

Gets interesting up at pages 4,5,6. Re jitter.

Note the user of DAC 64 has now moved onto a £100 DIY Non over sampling Filterless and rudimentary jitter correction DAC. There seems to be a shift away from audiophile concerns about jitter (The Quad 99 CDP measures at 700 spec and is enjoyed by many) I put it down to PC based audio TBH. Some stunning sounds can be had from DACs in SCs et al. the time they are a changing.

Anyway back to the SD-9500 as you say as an audio device (why I have bought it) – it seems a true bargain – XLRs, 2 Digital inputs for DAC usage), HDCD, and finally DVD-A is a bonus for ever how long it lasts. Not too concerned about MR usage TBH, and the interlaced component sockets will do when I upgrade my screen, Ie I will buy a display with component inputs. RCA-BNC leads are available for button FWIW.

Forgive the scribings of one happy person BTW. I forgot these units are being shipped by DHL in the price of £299, and I thought I got a bargain buying my TAG DAC direct from TAG.

28. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Lucky you - I bought one a few days ago for £ 499,-

Jürgen

29. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Jurgen

I think you have a good cause for asking for a refund dude, especially knowing that Toshiba were trying to offload these @ £299 at hifi shows, you can also return good with 28 days if you are unhappy IIRC. Then rebuy one of these £299 devices. Worth a try dude. I know the shipping to/from the NL may be a pain.

Saying all that I was seriously tempted to get one at £499 hence my initial interest and the more I read about Interlaced Component ouput the less concerned I am about PAL PS. Stills seems a bargain when LEC are selling them at £699 with PAL PS/MR. £499 for this machine well a lot of people would pay it IMHO.

30. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    CJROSS,

I didn't order mine directly by Toshiba UK, because they didn't ship them to outside UK (the pain you mentioned).
    But I think £499,- is a bargain, too, although I would have liked to spend the £200,- for somethink else.

Jürgen