1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD-900E Vs Denon 3800

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by morgoth, Aug 11, 2002.

1. morgoth

morgoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys i would like to know wich one is better comparing only the following:

- Picture Image
    - Cd audio Playback

I dont care much about Progressive Scan neither DVD-A. Since i dont have for now a plasma. Only in a few years i´ll think about it.
    But i care much about de DVD image, sound and CD playback.

Thanks for your time.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an SD900, and the picture is generally very good. I don't use it for CD playback though.

I've seen a 3800 in action round a mate's house and was very unimpressed by the video, and the CD playback was mediocre to say the least - a £100 seperate CD player would probably do a better job.

I can't absolutely say the picture is worse than my Tosh because my mate was running the 3800 through a LG flatscreen TV using S-Video - hardly an ideal environment for a comparison!

3. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I am faced with the same decision. According to information obtained from various forums coupled with a number of recent reviews the 3800 appears to be an excellent piece of equipment and on paper has a higher spec than the Toshiba 900.
    However, up until now the 3800 has suffered from the Chroma Bug (as does the Toshiba) but Denon are in the process of distributing a firmware fix and according to owners in the US this makes a big difference and according to many it out-performs the Toshiba 900.

It is suggested that you wait until October before making a decision ... by then you can be sure that the upgraded machines are available.

4. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding CD ... Your comments do not correspond with any of the reviews that I have read (eg Hi-Fi News).

Some have complained about picture quality but it would appear that such problems have resulted from incorrect set up.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Informatique - please accept my apologies; I am mistaking the model you are reffering to with the 2800, which my friend actually has (i'm getting confused with the model numers here - doh!).

6. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That explains a lot ... I believe that many people were not too happy with the 2800.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe his amp was the 3800 if I remember correctly - hence the confusion.

8. morgoth

morgoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah ok.
    So the CD playback on Denon DVD-3800 its very good? compared for example with the Toshiba 900 or even Arcam DV88?

thanks in advance

9. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound wise it is better than the Toshiba 900 and very close to the Toshiba 9500E. I know nothing about the Arcam so cannot comment.

10. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what was this "chroma" bug that these players suffer from? and how can they justify £1,000+ players being issued with a bug\?

do i presume that the denon is now the best player in that £1,000ish category?

11. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For details visit http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_2/dvd-benchmark-special-report-chroma-bug-4-2001.html

To be honest I find it difficult to get excited about this problem but others find it very annoying.

As every design is a compromise there are very few products that are bug free ... in the case of the Chroma bug most people will never notice it unless they are actually shown it and then many people could not care less and then there are others who are driven mad by it.

To give you a different example some Sony PC monitors (Trinitron) have two thin wires that look like rows of missing pixels but most people never notice them ... about two years ago a friend purchased a large monitor and he was really delighted with it but when I mentioned that I found the wires to be a bit distracting he was amazed by the fact that he never noticed them ... a month later he sold the monitor because he was constantly annoyed by what he considered to be a defect (or bug).

I make not claims for the Denon 3800 but according to any feedback that I have received it would appear that it is very good value (according to Hi-Fi News it is hard to beat within it's price range and according to a German Magazine it is almost as good as the flagship Denon A1).

I have devoted much time to considering the following:
    Denon A1 about Euro 3500)
    Toshiba 9500E (about Euro 2500)
    Toshiba 900 (about Euro 900)
    Denon 3800 (about Euro 1299)

And I have more or less decided to go with the Denon 3800.

12. Peter Webb

Peter Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you are not bothered by Prog Scan or DVD-A save your money and go for the Toshiba 220E.

13. carrera2rs

carrera2rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the SD900E for it's DVD performance and was not ven interested in its CD performance, however it is actually very good. My CD player is the old classic Marantz CD94, a cult player that still has a huge following and I find very, very good. They were over a £1k in their day and 10 years on still hold their own weigh in at 12kg+ and some audiophiles say the transport is second to non -Wadia, Krell etc !

Well the SD900E is not as rich and romantic as the marantz and not quite as subtle but through cheap systems ie DVD surround sound systems My Yammy DSP AX1 and Energy 5.2's its actually better than the Marantz ! .... OK when hooked up to my valves and horn speakers the real quality is more evident. This IS A GOOD CD player, make no mistake. It took a long time to burn in but now sounds very good, musical, emotive and clear.

Regarding video performance I have never seen a bad review, I compared to the Denon 2800 and preferred the SD900.

A dealer who sells real top end equipment, Tag, Meridian, Arcam etc uses a Toshiba SD900E in his dem room and doesn't even sell Toshiba !!!

He has been told by Owl (Sim distributers) that his projector produces better picture than any other dem room ! He said to me thta he has done all the comparisons, screens, DVD players, cables etc, etc

At £700 the SD900E is a bargain !

14. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At this price I do agree that it is a bargain.

15. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    carrera2rs,

Your summing up of the SD900E's talents is spot on. This has to be one of the best dvd bargains going now that the price has dropped. I hear stocks are quickly depleting so get 'em while you can. The gold finish is class, disc loading is sex and I believe the SD9500E only comes in black! Do you really need any more reasons to grab one of these superb players.

16. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Agree entirely. Got mine for £500 on Sunday.

Anyone know if they are ever likely to bring out a true PAL PS hack or is it physically impossible. Thanks.

17. carrera2rs

carrera2rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow £500 that's an amazing price. God I love old models....

Can't wait for a Sim2 HT300 to be sold off for £3,000...... (I bloody wish !.....)

:D :D :D

18. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    sheesh, don't push me...give me a couple of years to get over the shock of my 200DM first.....;)

Ian Guinan

19. carrera2rs

carrera2rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have struck a deal with the knowledgeable Mr Guinan and bought his 'old' Sim2 HT200DM....

Can't wait for the weekend to plug it into the rest of the system:

Toshiba SD900E, Yammy DSP AX1, Energy 5.2, Homescreens 80" 16:9 screen and now the Sim2 HT200DM..

I'll let you all know how I get on !

;)

20. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent been able to get hold of a review for the new toshiba 9500 yet? Why is this more expensive newer model not better than the 900e?

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh 9500 gets five stars in the latest What Hifi, for what it's worth.

It costs £2000, and it will be better than the 900E because it uses 12 or 14-bit (can't remember which) video DACs running at 108MHz - twice that of the 900E!

Also it has balanced audio outputs.

Hope this helps!

22. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    14-bit

23. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is better than the 900E and some users who have tried both claim that it is as good as the Denon A1.

If you wish to see detailed specs for the 900 and 9500 visit the following site www.leconcepts.com

24. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so between the denon a1 and the toshiba 9500:

have they received simular opinions on CD playback aswell as dvd?

which one is hackable via hardware hack

do they both suffer this chroma bug thing

by the way have you guys tried sound and vision (they are in most homec inema mags - i always buy from them as they get the best prices).

25. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know both suffer from the Chroma bug but there is a firmware fix available for the A1.

The 9500E on offer from www.leconcepts.com has been modified to be multi-region.

I have not seen any comments regarding the quality of CD performance for the 9500E but as I have a Sony 999ES SACD player this is not an issue. According to reviews both the A1 and the Denon 3800 have excellend CD performance.

26. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the advantage of balanced outputs?
    Do you need a special amplifier to take advantage of balanced outputs?

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you need an amp with balanced inputs if that's what you mean!!! It's generally agreed that a better, purer signal is carried over balanced connections - particularly over long distances!

28. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    This mythical fix touted by DenonJeff. Myself and others still believe that this is only possible with a hardware fix but hey, I am only an engineer and Denon Jeff is a sales man.......;)

I have contacted Denon UK over this an they insist that it is a NTSC fix only. R2 guys sorry. NO PAL Bug fix they indicated. They also refused to anwer anymore detailed question on this when pressed. They also 'ignored' my first question re the NTSC Bug fix only helping and not curing the chroma bug.

They say all further question should be answered by my dealer (like they know!).

Read into this what you want but what it tells me is the old 3800 had chroma bug and the fixed NTSC 3800 has chroma bug and the PAL R2 3800 also has the chroma bug.

Now the chroma bug is really not that important but if this is how Denon treatS people I would buy Toshiba or ARCAM, much better playerS IMHO. Just look at the support by ARCAM on this board.

29. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic

Thank you for your comments which actually confirm my suspicions about the 3800.

30. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say that after the problems with my 2800, the service that i got from denon was First Class! Within 2 days I had a respose telling me what was wrong with my player and whatb they could do for me. I opted to upgrade from the 2800 to 3800, I am very pleased, Picture and sound are incredible.