1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD-520E

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cloudchaser, Jul 27, 2003.

1. cloudchaser

cloudchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all

I had initially decided to buy a all in one system. But in the next couple of month I plan to buy the Toshiba 36ZP38 which supports component, progressive scan, 2 rear speakers and supports Dolby Digital Surround / Dolby Pro-Logic Surround etc. I want to get a DVD player that can take advantage of this TVs features.

I am looking for a player that offers the following -

- component video
    - progressive scan
    - NTSC playback on PAL
    - good enough sound to listen to CDs and normal music
    - play formats like - DVD-Video, DVD-R, CD, SVCD/VCD, CD-R/RW, MP3 (CD-R/RW), Digital Still (JPEG on CD-R/RW)
    - Multi-region --- ideally no complicated hacks via remote

Any recommendations?

I have been looking around and short listed the following Toshiba players that seem good.
    I loved the looks of the Toshiba SD 330E but it does not do component so that’s a no-go. I like the Toshiba 520E DVD player which has got great reviews. But I am still unsure since the specs on the official site are not clear. Does anyone have any feedback on this player? Does it do NTSC playback on a PAL TV? Does it support long filenames for MP3's? Is there any other player that would suit my requirements better?

All help appreciated - thanks in advance
    Cheers

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

FYI, the Toshiba 330 does have component, but not progressive scan. Why do you specifically want NTSC playback on a PAL TV? Your proposed Tosh 36ZP38 will take a pure NTSC signal. How about the Sony NS930 which does PAL and NTSC PS and SACD for around £270 MR from www.avland.co.uk?

Steve

3. cloudchaser

cloudchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Originally posted by Dutch
    Hi,

>> FYI, the Toshiba 330 does have component, but not progressive scan.

Yes and I also love the styling and looks of it. But progressive scan will be me the best quality image (in the long run) and hence I decided against it.

>> Why do you specifically want NTSC playback on a PAL TV? Your proposed Tosh 36ZP38 will take a pure NTSC signal.

Dohh-- I just used that line from a product description -- but what I want to do is to be able to play any Region 1 (NTSC?) dvds on my TV -- which I assumed would be by nature a PAL TV. I did not pay much attention to the Tosh 36ZP38 NTSC features -- - [edit] even if the TV supports NTSC does it not require a NTSC playback capable DVD player? I am a newbie to DVD so not quite sure.

>>> How about the Sony NS930 which does PAL and NTSC PS and SACD for around £270 MR from www.avland.co.uk?

looking at them now. thanks a lot - cheers
    cloudchaser