1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba sd-520e Question!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gingerone, Jan 13, 2003.

1. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I'm going to buy this player in the next week or so, but before I place my order I have a couple of questions and seeing as quite a few people have this player I thought you chaps could help me out.
    Firstly, I have a philips 28pw6006 with the dark rgb problem. Am I correct in thinking that I can increase the contrast and brightness levels with this player?

Secondly, what's the picture like using s-video? as I think I will have to use this if I can not improve the RGB picture, my current player is terrible in s-video(pioneer dv-525).
    Thanks!

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This player allows you to adjust picture quality and store up to 3 custom picture settings. You can adjust, contrast, brightness, colour, tint, DNR and edge enhancement. :)

As for the S-Video connection I have no idea as I am connected via component.

3. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Cheers Bob. So do you recomend this player?

4. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Bob,

As a seasoned 520 owner maybe you can help with this - I've notice the player goes into standby mode if left idle for a period of time. Is there any way to stop this happening? I've checked the setup options but alas have found nothing. The rest of my kit is permanently on but the Tosh is trying to start a standby mode mutany of sorts!!!

Thanks,
    Marcus

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Give this player 10/10, replaced a Pioneer 636 with the tosh and haven't looked back since, it's a cracking player.
    Don't think this is a customized feature so there's no way of altering it.

:)

6. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Excellent, I was set on buying the player anyway but was wondering if I would see much of an improvement from my pioneer dv-525. But if it's better than the 636 then it will wipe the floor with my current player!

7. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Out of interest Bob, whats the 520 like for CD playback?

8. DownToTheBone

DownToTheBone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Has anyone looked at the pq of the 520 compared to the 220 back to back ... I ask as I originally had a 210 and really can't see much difference with the 520 which I currently own.

DTTB

9. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Whats a pq?
    How do you rate the cd playback with the 520?

10. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I replaced a Sony 900 with the Tosh 520 - the picture quality is excellent and NTSC progressive Scan a very useful feature.

Some people find the colours unnaturally bright and vivid on Tosh players, but I like it - just think it improves things on my proj. and TV.

The CD playback (at least analogue two channel output) is like all DVD players - average to poor.

I have yet to hear a DVD player that gets even close to CD (at any price) and unless you don't have the room it makes sense to have both DVD and CD seperates to optimise quality.

Multichannel DD and DTS sound, however, compares very well on the Tosh.

Cheers

11. Harvey

Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As per the earlier, question, I am interested in whether anyone has compared the 520 with the 220.

Also, how would the 220 rate against the older SD-2109; has the passage of time brought any noticiable improvement?