Toshiba SD-520E Prog Scan settings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nickb23, May 3, 2003.

1. nickb23

nickb23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Guys,

I have just picked up a SD-520E from Richer sounds, and I have it going into my Toshiba 32ZD26P NTSC Prog TV. I have it hooked up through component leads, with the switch set at the back to P. When i watch an NTSC DVD through progressive scan, I press the progressive button on the remote so that it is 'progressive'. Now when i watch X-men, I can still see bad jagged edges, which look a bit better when i press the progressive button to make it interlaced. Is this right? I thought progressive scan was supposed to get rid of jaggies? Or am I wrong. Could it be a faulty DVD palyer.

Thanks Guys

Nick

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    Have you set the player up for 16:9?

It sounds like it's outputting a letterbox image and not an anamorphic image for the tv to stretch.

I used my 520 on a projector and 7ft wide screen and got non jaggy images in both interlaced and progressive outputs.

Gary.

3. Rojo

Rojo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You also should drop the sharpness levels right down (an av expert even suggested minus 50!). These are intended for poor signals, but for a premium signal from component it is utterly unnecessary and should help reduce these so they are unnoticable.

Hope it helps.

4. Canoehq

Canoehq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    From what I know of the 520, I think you have to switch the machine off and then on again for the move from Progressive to interlaced to take effect (or interlaced to progressive !)

Think so anyway.

Canoehq

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    I didn't have to do that with mine - just make sure the switch at the back was at P, and then use the remote - two pushes of the button - one to tell you mode mode you were in, then the another to switch it.

Gary.

6. nickb23

nickb23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Guys,
    The jaggedy thing seems to have sorted itself out now. I turned it on and off, and it is now working properly. My next question is when i watch R1 movies in progressive mode, the image stutters, most notably on long sweeping shots (eg. the bit in fight club when ed norton is ordering ikea stuff and the camera sweeps around his room). To me it looks like an FPS issue. I have the progressive set to Auto (not video or film). Is this right? I would like to find other peoples setups of this DVD player for progressive to make sure i am getting the best picture.

Thanks in advance

Nick

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    This sounds like 3:2 pulldown in NTSC film. If your tv can accept full 60hz NTSC, then it shouldn't be an issue.

If it's staying at 50hz, then you'll see the stutter.

You've got the output as auto and not PAL have you? If it's PAL you'll definately get the stutter on NTSC disks.

Gary.

8. nickb23

nickb23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    my TV is the Tosh 32zd26p widescreen. I dont know if there is anything i can do with the TV menu, but i will have a look

Nick