Toshiba SD 510e opinions?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Chucky, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Chucky

Chucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought Iwanted a Pioneer DVD playerbut I just stumbled across this model.. What a baby. It seems to play everything i can think of including MP3, VCD and even DVD Audio and HSCD (whatever that is)
    Also has progressive scan (3rd generation) and component video ouptput!

Has anybody tried it in action? Was progressive scan doing any visible difference when used on a reasonable flat-screen widescreen TV ?

Does anybody know where to find a picture of the remote control for this DVD player?

Finally.. the cheapest price I found is about £249.99 from RS. Anyone know a cheaper deal?

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,936
    Hi

It has HDCD (High Definition Compatible Digital). Info here www.hdcd.com

Progressive Scan is only of use to you if you have a display device capable of picking up the signal, normally Plasmas, the new Toshiba TV´s & some Loewe TV´s & some Projectors.

If your TV cant pick this up then you´ll only see the interlaced output, which is pretty good anyway.:)

Cheers

3. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it that only NTSC progressive scan is availible?

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,936
    As standard, yes. Though whether anyone comes up with a modification for PAL prog scan is a different matter.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I have one, its great and I payed £300, it was still a bargain at that price. I use progressive scan on my Panasonic ae100 lcd projector, ntsc only for now, hopefully it will do progressive pal one day if Toshiba release a firmware upgrade to enable it.
    Great pic good sound :) no scart loop through though, and the remote is big but I use my pronto.

6. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure if it is just a firmware job (like Denon 2800)? or will it be a bigger job with extra chips required like the Pioneer 747.

7. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Received my SD510E Last Friday, great picture & sound, impressed. Unfortunately the unit is being returned today (to webelectricals) as it has a fault with any movie hanging in pause after 1 hour +, the only way that this can be overcome is to swith off at the mains and start again, I believe that this is just a 1 off fault.

On the basis of me just being unlucky with this fault I would still recommend the player, this is my fourth player and it is by far the best (copmpared with my past 3 players, Sony - Toshiba 110 and LG).